new board

rated by 0 users
This post has 96 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:28 AM

Eric

Do you work, are you employed by Joslin? Or are you contracted to take care of this website? We never really got introduced to you and your roll here.....are you a diabetic too?

I had to sign in to REPLY to this post of yours but it brought me here to the top of the post for some odd reason instead of the last post you entered.

Thanks

Shortie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 10:31 AM

Oops and I also wanted to ask you how long post stay on this website?  The old site only kept them on for a few weeks I think...some of these posts are getting mighty long at 4 -5 pages?

thanks

shortie

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 54
Eric replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 12:21 PM

Hi Shortie,

I do work for Joslin. I am actually a systems analyst III/DBA. I do a lot of work with databases and with .NET coding for Research.

I've only starting picking up the discussion boards here as the new one went online. I have moderated forums in the past with other companies I have worked for so its not exactly new to me. I don't plan on taking too big a role here. I just really want to make sure the boards are up and running and try to help out as I can. So, for the technical stuff or if you are having trouble with the boards themselves I'll do what I can.

You will still see Nora and John and the other moderators. They are the ones with letters after their names and so can dispense with the more useful advice when it comes to the disease, coping and etc...

To your last question, yes I am a diabetic. I was diagnosed with Type 2 about 2 years ago. I was thirsty all the time, so to combat that, I would stop and get a quart of OJ every morning (stupid huh?). Smile Of course the thirst wouldn't go away and I mentioned it to me dad who is also a diabetic. He checked my glucose with his meter and it was 425!

Needless to say I made an appointment with my PCP and he started me on metformin. That and eating better has things under control. At least for now.

That's about it in a nutshell. Hopefully that answers your questions. If there is anything else I can do let me know!

thanks,

~Eric

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 54
Eric replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 12:25 PM

Sorry, I just saw this one and this is a great question! I meant to address this before now. The old site would keep posts for 180 days then they woudl dissappear. Here, there is no time limit. And, there is no plan to archive old posts. So, the posts should be here for a long time. This is another of the Good Things ™ about the new discussion boards!

~eric

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

ERic..I have THREE times tried to ask the board not to e-mail directly to me

and it..so far..has not TAKEN..I get too many e-mails as it is ..please help..thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Mon, Feb 9 2009 9:21 PM

Me too Eric.  I always unclick the email me replies to the post button below...but they still come running into my laptop.  They come in a junk mail but they still come in.  I do not know why since I declick the button?

Help me too please.

Is anyone else having this problem.  I know one poster said they liked it, but I do not.

shortie

ps ----Eric thanks for introducing yourself to us all.  Glad you are a Joslin employee and glad u found out your have diabetes early.  Thank you dad!

pss----if the posts never get erased, will we be muddling thru pages and pages of posts to get to a new one?  I wish the new post came up first and you had to scan down to the older ones if you chose to---is that an option?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Tue, Feb 10 2009 8:56 AM

I must have done something right for a change. I never get emails from the website.

jorgie

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 54
Eric replied on Tue, Feb 10 2009 10:01 AM

There is no main shutoff for the email unfortunately. The two places to check and make sure you are not getting emails are at the top of any thread. If it says "Stop emailing replies to me" click it, otherwise if it says "Email me when someone replies" it will not email you.

Also, when you post, just under the Tags entry there is a checkbox, "Email me replies to this post". Make sure that is unchecked.

Lastly, in the email itself, at the very bottom there is a footer that reads "To unsubscribe, go here and disable your email subscription for this thread." Click "here" and it will bring you to the thread in a browser AND it will have already unsubscribed you.

By the way, it is possible for you not to be subscribed to the main thread itself and for you to choose to have someone email you if they reply to your post. So, be sure to uncheck the email me replies checkbox when posting.

I hope that helps!

~eric

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Wed, Feb 11 2009 8:09 AM

ERIC

I DID THE PASSWORD TEST.... A NEW PASSWORD WAS EMAILED TO ME...but it does not work.  I am using my other browser to get in to the site.  Hellllllllllp.

ps the password is a lot of jumbley letters and signs,  but I did cut and paste them in.....

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

PLEASE immediately STOP e-mail to my home computer....

I am begging..

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 54
Eric replied on Wed, Feb 11 2009 10:23 AM

Hi shortie,

I sent you an email. if you have trouble let know and I will get you going!

~eric

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 54
Eric replied on Wed, Feb 11 2009 10:33 AM

tylersydney,

I have shut off emails for you. You should no longer receieve any emails from us. I apologize for the inconvenience.

~eric

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 30
Janet replied on Wed, Feb 11 2009 11:46 AM

Hi, Eric!  Since you are busy helping us find our way around the new boards, please could you let me know whether there is a way to mark certain messages read without actually having read them?  I am interested in most DM-related matters, but don't always have time to read everything. On the old boards I could mark messages about insulin pumps, for example, as read, even though I hadn't read them, just to clear my 'unread' list and keep it clear for things in which I am interested.

Is there a way to do that on the new boards?  In a similar vein, at the moment, I am reading the messages that come by e-mail that way, but when I subsequently come to the forum they are on my 'unread' list and I can't see that there is a way to mark them as read without going into and out of each one, which takes time and is a nuisance, especially when my connection is not always as fast as I would like.

Any ideas would be gratefully received!  Thanks.

Janet   Paradise 

Type 2, diagnosed August 2002.  Taking Metformin and a whole raft of other meds.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 111
Jorgie replied on Wed, Feb 11 2009 11:56 AM

Janet, I just noticed, if you go into a thread such as Coping With Complications there is a place at the upper right to mark all read.

jorgie

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 30
Janet replied on Wed, Feb 11 2009 12:30 PM

Hi, Jorgie!  Thanks for that.  Unlike on the old boards, where everything was in clear threads within the various boards, I haven't been accessing the messages here that way - I have just been using the 'unread' function to pick up whatever is new since I last checked.  Although I miss the feeling of it being a thread like that, it seems a much quicker way to read the messages, especially when I am often in a hurry.  Perhaps I just need to go to the individual boards which I am not interested in from time to time and mark them as read.  It's a pity, because when things are on go slow, as they are tonight, it will take ages.  Someone needs to pedal faster!

Thanks again for your help.

Janet   Paradise 

Type 2, diagnosed August 2002.  Taking Metformin and a whole raft of other meds.

Page 5 of 7 (97 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > | RSS