Lack of Weight Loss

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux posted on Tue, Apr 27 2010 9:34 AM

I am 56 years young, have a BF reading of 14.9%,  last A1c was 6.9.  I'm 5'8, 213, 36 inch waist so I have a high percentage of lean muscle mass making my BMI higher than the "so-called" good range. 

I workout 5 days a week,  lift weights daily and either high intensity interval training or long steady slow cardio.  I track all of my nutrition(using FitDay) and average 50% from protein(combination of whey and whole food), 30% from complex carbs and remaining from fats.  Saturated fats are less than 10%.  Daily caloric intake is around 1500 per day creating a 750 to 1000/day calorie deficit using BMR calculations and Harris Benedict formulas.

I take 1000mg of Metformin twice a day and 5 mg of Glyburide twice per day.  No matter what I do I cannot lose any weight nor inches in waist.  Makes absolutely no sense at all.  My resting pulse rate is 63, BP 115/68.

Am I just an anomaly or what.........Can't afford going to a dietician..........

I eat for all intents and purposes no processed or box foods,  oatmeal in am.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Ron AKA replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:19 AM

For your height a normal weight reduction diet would be closer to 1200 calories per day. Your body is the one that gets the final say in how many calories it needs. And, your body has no problem communicating that to you through the bathroom scales ;-)

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 10:35 AM

Basal Metabolic Rate is 1856 calories   Harris Benedict Formula  If you are moderatetely active(and I'm being ultra conservative) (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55

This equals 2877 to maintain weight........... 1200 would be a 1600 calorie/day deficit...............As is is I'm at a 1300/day deficit.

1200/day would be unhealthy at best.........Just doesn't add up.

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:41 AM

Am I missing something here? 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Ron AKA replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 11:54 AM

I'm 5'9" and 1200 calories a day is what I use to lose weight. I combine that with one hour 7 days a week full out cardio. According to the exercise bike I use, the exercise consumes 700 calories, or less if I'm not so fit, and can't keep the pace.

If your current diet is 1800 calories and you are just maintaining weight, then your body is telling you your calorie intake equals your current requirements. You will have to go below 1800 calories, or increase your exercise above what you are currently doing. I would suggest your formula for calculating calorie requirements is way off.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:08 PM

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/

5'8 213 is current weight age is 56 with 14.9 BF

Try figuring it out and see what you come up with?

I'm eating a 1500 calorie/day so I'm at a negative 1300 right now based on these equations which are health standards.  I eat 4-6 times a day.

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:19 PM
Oatmeal, cooked, regular
cup, cookedcup, dry, yieldsoz, dry, yieldsgramskglboz
Olive oil
cuptablespoongramskglboz
Sauce, LA VICTORIA, LA VICTORIA Thick 'N Chunky Salsa, Hot
tbspgramskglboz
whey Protein
servinggramskglboz
whey Protein
servinggramskglboz
Crackers, wheat
cup, crushedcupEuphratesHarvest WheatRitz CrackerSunshine Wheats Heart Shaped CrackerWheat ThinsWheatableWheatsworthcrackerKeebler Whole Wheat Club Crackergramskglboz
Beans, pinto, mature seeds, canned
cupgramskglboz
whey Protein
servinggramskglboz
Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roas...
cup, chopped or dicedunit (yield from 1 lb ready-to-cook chicken)breast, bone and skin removedgramskglboz
Asparagus, raw
cupsmall spear (5" long or less)medium spear (5-1/4" to 7" long)large spear (7-1/4" to 8-1/2" long)extra large spear (8-3/4" to 10" long)spear tip (2" long or less)gramskglboz
Beans, pinto, mature seeds, canned
cupgramskglboz
Strawberries, raw
cupcup, halvescup, pureedcup, slicedcup, wholeoz yieldsextra large (1-5/8" dia)large (1-3/8" dia)medium (1-1/4" dia)pint, as purchased, yieldssmall (1" dia)gramskglboz
Strawberries, raw
cupcup, halvescup, pureedcup, slicedcup, wholeoz yieldsextra large (1-5/8" dia)large (1-3/8" dia)medium (1-1/4" dia)pint, as purchased, yieldssmall (1" dia)gramskglboz
whey Protein
servinggramskglboz
Bread, whole wheat, 100%, made from home recipe or purchased...
cubic inchthin slice (3-3/4" x 5" x 3/8")regular slice (3-3/4" x 5" x 1/2")thick slice (3-3/4" x 5" x 5/8")gramskglboz
Chicken, broilers or fryers, breast, meat only, cooked, roas...
cup, chopped or dicedunit (yield from 1 lb ready-to-cook chicken)breast, bone and skin removedgramskglboz
Spinach, raw
cupbunchleafbaby leafgramskglboz
Canola and soybean oil
cuptablespoongramskglboz
Top 10 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Ron AKA replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:25 PM

I'm an engineer and love formulas. However, they at best estimate the real world. The real world, your body and bathroom scales are telling you that your actual calorie intake and calorie needs are currently in balance. You are not negative anything, or you would be losing weight. Most people should lose weight slowly at 1500 calories per day. Are you sure you are counting every single calorie in the day -- all foods, all beverages, all snacks?

Ron

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:39 PM

Yep snacks everything  you are seeing a complete daily food log     Black coffee, green tea and water is all I drink

45-1 hour of weight lifting daily and the cardio  Even with figuring that the calorie counters on stationary bike, elliptical or treadmill may over calculate calaries burned doing the cardio from either High Intensity Intervals or the 45-one hour sessions I know I'm burning 400-700 calories per day at gym depending upon what I'm doing.  

Eating small meals 4-6 times a day. to keep metabolism elevated..........

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux replied on Tue, Apr 27 2010 12:47 PM

I stay extremely well hydrated as well.............

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts

Dear BooDreaux:

From the information you have provided 1500 calories would allow for weight loss.   You should not reduce calories under 1200 as it is quite difficult to eat a well balanced diet under this level without medical supervision. I think it is important for you to review your history and data with a professional.  If you live in the state of Massachusetts, nutrition counseling is covered by all the major insurance plans.  Diabetes Self Management Training of which nutrition and exercise is a component is a federal benefit provided through insurers.  If a dietitian is still out of the question, please discuss your situtation with your health care provider. 

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
angiebrd64 replied on Mon, May 17 2010 10:26 AM

BooDreaux--I am an RD and a CDE, and what you have described is a pretty healthy diet. But, as you have already figured out, 1200 is a ridiculously small amount of calories!  Many people have the misconception that if they drastically cut their caloric intake, they will lose lots of weight. They do, for a short while. But the body has a wonderful habit of self-preservation. It will lower your resting metabolic rate to match the calores coming in. So eventually the weight loss will stop. There are several things you can do to see which one works for you. One, as nutty as it sounds, is to add more complex carbs to your daily intake to reach 40% of total calories. The body burns carbs as fuel, and they have fewer calories than fat. Another is to increase total calories to 1600-1800 kcals, to see if you may indeed be consuming too few kcals.

The last thing is to consider that you may not be able to reach a BF of 8%. Your genetic makeup and body type just may not allow for that.  When you are trying to lose weight, you may end up losing that valuable muscle mass!  Plus, if you become too obsessed with your nutrition and exercise, it may cause increased stress, which also hampers weight loss.

There is no easy answer, but less is not more. You may have to do some trial and error to find out what will work. And, sometimes, getting out of the rut you are in itself will boost weight loss!

Good Luck!

Top 75 Contributor
11 Posts
BooDreaux replied on Wed, May 19 2010 8:20 AM

Thanks Angie

I'll give the increase in calories and complex carbs a try for a week and see what happens.............I'm not looking for 8% BF,  I just want to get back down to the 190 level again. 

Appreciate your response!!

BooDreaux

Not Ranked
1 Posts

I am 31 years old. My usual eating habit includes soda or instant juice. It has been this way since the last decade. When I am drinking pure water, my stomach aches unbearably. What could be wrong with me??

Thanks,

S.

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts

There are a lot of posts on different message boards on this subject. Answers ranged from the practical to the ridiculous!  I think the best idea is to see a gastroenterologist. They specialize in issues with the digestive system.  It may be with all the soda and juices you either make too much or not enough stomach acid. Adding water, which is neutral, may trigger some sort of response. The doctor can run tests, such as for H Pylori, and an EGD to look into your stomach and see if there is a physical problem.

You did not mention if this happened with all types of water (tap, bottled, sparkling, deionized), and at all temperatures. Also, when you drink water, was it on an empty stomach, after another beverage, or with food? Do you also have any other GI issues? Did you "guzzle" the water, or sip it slowly? This information will be helpful when talking with the doctor to help them determine the cause and offer a solution.

It might be helpful to take another beverage and weaken it with water, until you are taking in just the water. Sip slowly, nothing too extreme in temperature, and just small amounts at a time throughout the day.

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS