Hypoglycemic with a meal question

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
GregAld posted on Fri, Jan 9 2009 1:06 PM

Hi I am a hypoglycemic and also have Adult ADD. I am on a medication that kills my appetite. I take it in the morning and by 10am the thought of food makes me ill. When i go to eat lunch I have to choke stuff down. I was drink BOOST (high protein) but that isn't cutting it for me any more.By 3pm I am getting the shakes and getting irritated etc... I do not want to change this medication for the ADD because it is the very best I have ever been on

That said, does anyone have any meal suggestions or meal replacement suggestions so that I dont end up with the shakes any more? If I could find a meal supplement in a drink form that would be ideal. It goes down much easier.

thanks

greg

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts
Verified by nora@joslin

Dear GegAid:

Have you tried very bland, low fat foods such as saltines and low fat cheese or any of the low fat breakfast bars?  If you are nauseated, try to keep foods at room temperature, neither hot or cold.

Other supplements that are better tasting are Carnation Instant Breakfast or Slimfast (try the juice versions if the milky texture turns you off)

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
374 Posts

Eating a high protein shake probably doesn't cut it for a diabetic.  You should look for a meal replacement shake that has 15 to 20 carbs as well.  You are probably going low with your blood glucose, have you been taking readings when you get shakey, etc.?

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Ron AKA replied on Sat, Jan 17 2009 1:27 PM

As far as food choices go, I would suggest you do some research on low glycemic index foods. See the link below as a start, but if you google glycemic index there will be lots of hits.

Glycemic Index

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 75 Contributor
Female
11 Posts
VOW replied on Sun, Jan 18 2009 10:25 PM

There's a product on the market called "Ensure Plus" (NOT regular "Ensure"--gotta look for the "Plus") that is higher in calories, which might help you out.

I'd also suggest a small snack with the Ensure Plus, like a piece of string cheese.  The additional protein and fat may be what you need to keep your BGs steady.

As your body adjusts to the ADD drug, you may find your appetite returning.  You probably won't be voracious, but at least the thought of food won't be so repulsive.

~VOW

"I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it."
Klaatu, "The Day The Earth Stood Still"

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts
Verified by nora@joslin

Dear GegAid:

Have you tried very bland, low fat foods such as saltines and low fat cheese or any of the low fat breakfast bars?  If you are nauseated, try to keep foods at room temperature, neither hot or cold.

Other supplements that are better tasting are Carnation Instant Breakfast or Slimfast (try the juice versions if the milky texture turns you off)

Top 100 Contributor
7 Posts
jude replied on Fri, Jan 23 2009 11:23 AM

Dear GregAld,  I think you are definitely having a low blood sugar if your symptoms include shaking and mood changes.  It is very important that you check your blood sugar and write down what you eat every day to see if there are patterns.  A nuitrionist at Joslin can then look at your list and make suggestions.  Try carrots with peanut butter or smaller meals more often.  Have you ever tried Agave Nectar.  It is a substitute for maple syrup that is made from cactus flowers.  You can buy it at Shaws in the Wild Harvest section and you can put it on oatmeal or whole grain waffles.    Maybe blander foods will be more appealing to you.  Oatmeal is filling and you can add raisins to it or get low sugar oatmeal. 

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
GregAld replied on Fri, Jan 23 2009 11:51 AM

Thanks all

this is great advice!!!

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts

I am so glad I found this topic here. I have type 1 diabetes and I love all kinds of bread, now I can try the ones you guys mentioned. As for my favorites I would like to recommend you this delicious low carb high fiber plus diabetic friendly pita bread from Joseph's Bakery. I use eat it very often in various versions.

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts

Dear Greg:

You may wish to make an appointment with a dietitian. She/he would be able to take a diet history and make recommendations that will meet all of your medical needs.  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS