gastric bypass surgery

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
jackpucci Posted: Fri, Jul 9 2010 3:43 PM

How come with all the research goin g on in the diabetic  arena no one has figured out why diabetic patients who undergo this procedure see the blood sugars go to normal before losing any weight. Is it that the sugar/insulin relationship has not been truly understood all these  years.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374

I don't know where you read that bg levels go to normal before weight loss.  Most people who undergo this surgery lose weight before they get out of the hospital.  The main thing they eat after surgery is some form of liquid protein, little or no carbs.  (My wife had this surgery so I am familiar with the details.)  Hard for bg levels to go high if you are not eating carbs. 

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Sat, Jul 10 2010 10:05 AM

I had a post already and doing a search for  "diabetes surgery cure" to post internet sites on it, and lost my post....dang it.  But if u do a search u will see NBC, CBS and other medical sites stating that hormones in the gut are thought to cause the diabetes, not getting fat.  It was on TV on the World news in and weekly news magazines.....immediate cure after surgery with no weight loss.........Doing the surgery cures diabetes even in thin T2 diabetics.   Wonder if the medical arena will get on this fast.....JOSLIN????......I do know that diabetes is big business.....and if we are cured....a lot of business will go broke.....no strips, no pills, no monitors, no hospital visits, no amputations, no no no.....whatdouthink?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Sat, Jul 10 2010 2:05 PM

Calling bypass surgery a "cure" is over stating the effect of this surgery on diabetics.  Diabetes, like alcoholism, is a no cure disease.  Once you are diabetic you will always be a diabetic.  That's said, you can be a diabetic whose blood glucose levels are considered normal (like many of those posting on this site), but you can quickly get out of that normal mode by eating badly or not doing the things that got your disease under control. 

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Sun, Jul 11 2010 11:17 AM

I lost weight the hard way or maybe it was the easy way, with a combination of walking after each meal and switching from High GI to low GI carbs. (Dropped from 224 lbs and a bmi of just under 30 to 175 lbs and bmi 23.) That was about 10 years ago, and the effect on my diabetes/blood sugar control was just absolutely amazing. Since then my hba1c has never been above 6. That said, I know I still am diabetic, or as some would call it, effected by Syndrome X. I recently ate a basket of strawberries and half an hour later my eyes were hurting so I checked BG: 14.5 (261). As for surgery itself having a mitigating effect on BG levels, all the research I've seen states that surgery creates stress which normally aggravates blood sugar levels. Possibly, if someone is having a very peaceful post operative experience in hospital with pleasant nurses and doctors, free of daily stress and worries, that could have a positive effect.

Tor

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cindyc replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 12:43 PM

You're right - gastric bypass surgery - even without weight loss - improves blood sugar levels. My A1c dropped from almost 9 to around 6 and has stayed there ever since!

I am two years post op.  I have come off so many medications, including 2 types of insulin which I had been on for years, not to mention all the other improvments that I have seen.  Best thing I have EVER done! Big Smile  I wish that I had known all of the benefits sooner!  I have my life back.

It must have to do with the cut and hormones.  Good Luck!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 1

Lucky you....I am STILL diabetic after gastric bypass surgery and now on an insulin pump! The only positive is I am normal weight and came off blood pressure meds as well as cholesterol

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS