Need Opinions on CGMS and Pump Combo

rated by 0 users
This post has 39 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 10:24 AM

Mikey!! Congratulations on getting the pump!!

After 44 years of injecting insulins I got my first pump eight years ago and it changed my life!

Mainly gave me a freedom I had lost as a kid. 

I have the 522 and the benefits of knowing how much to bolus depending what my BG number is..

and how much 'active' insulin I have.. and 5 different basal rates for 24 hours!

It still amazes me.

I have had the Real Time CGMS for 2 years but only use it occasionally to check 'swings'.

I have a LOT of scar tissue from thousands & thousands of shots for 44 years so I feel that

interfers with the workings of the CGMS. Last month 2 insertions went wrong .. and this morning

the inserter needle easily slipped out of the sensor. It cannot be put back in so another wasted sensor.

When they work..they are a super bonus and I know other Harvard/Joslin 50 year medalists that use them.

I am at 52 1/2 yrs now, with no complications and in the Joslin 50 year Medalist Study.

I know you will LOVE the pump Mike!!!!!!

cheerio for now ~Annette~

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 17
Joan replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 1:22 PM

Hi Annette - just read your post about pump, CGM and scar tissue. I have lived with Type 1 for 53 years this month, and also a participant in the  Harvard/Joslin 50 year Medalists program.

Your comments on scar tissue interested me because.....I have used a CGM (DexCom 7) but after six months it just was not working well.  It seems  that using it,  scar tissue  was built up, and this caused the CGM to not "read" correctly.  The CGM is expensive so I closed it down as my insurance would not, will not cover the cost.

I am now considering a pump but concerned again about scar tissue build-up.

What is the 552?  A pump, I presume?

If you had scar tissue with a CGM,  do you deal with scar tissue with the pump?  If so, how do you manage this?

Thanks,

Joan :-))

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 17
Joan replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 1:51 PM

Hi MikeyDee - about the Medtronics GUARDIAN.  I believe this is a Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) ONLY; not a pump.  Just last week I spoke with a Medtronics Representative and she informed me that the company is working on a combination pump, and CGM  but none is available at this time.  I am presuming it will be a few years as the FDA is very slow to approve of anything! 

I did check out the web site for the GUARDIAN.  Not too clear but think I am correct to say it is only a CGM.

Hope this helps!

Joan Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 5
rellajeff replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 3:17 PM

The "Revel" is a combined insulin Pump and CGMS. The Guardian is a CGMS only and the 522 is, I believe, just a pump.  Animas is coming out with a combined unit with the DEXCOM in about a year.  The DexCom unit itself is available separately and is only a CGMS.  Hope this helps.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 3:35 PM

Joan.. I remember you & I posting here before.. you were dx'd about 5 or 6 months earlier than me ;)

Were you at the Medalist Gathering in Boston last year? That was super meeting other long-termers. after a lifetime of practically feeling like the only one with Juv/Diab! I still call it that as thats what they told my parents and then I what I had..and it keeps me feeling young still rofl

And like me, you must have had thousands of injections too..so a lot of scar tissue  'there'

Quite a few of my sensors have had to be thrown away because they did not infuse right or read the numbers correctly.. as it did this morning and as you say..they are NOT cheap!!!!

It would buzz me during the night showing my BG was high .. I did a finger *** & it was really only 146 or so.

I think I am not going to order any more sensors.. even though I just got a new CGM system, replacing the one I had.

And the infusion site would get real pink/red.

I have no problems with the pump re scar tissue... mainly just the CGMS.

The 522 is the size pump I have.. it comes 'larger' in that it holds more insulin.

My 24 hour total dose it about 30 units... for basal & bolus's.

I REALLY love the pump.. the CGMS needs updating... a dissapointment to me.

Medtronic are working on an implanted pump/cgms so we shall see :)

As I have said before..they seem to work great for many but maybe thats those that have had Juv/Diab

a much shorter time than us... maybe 25/30 years ;)

Take care Joan .. and feel free to email me at AnnetteUK@hotmail.com if you like.

~Annette~

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 3:42 PM

My Medtronic Paradigm 522 insulin pump works with my RealTime CGMS. Infused seperately the RealTime reads my BG every 2 to 4 minutes and sends the reading & graph to my pump. They work in union with each other :)

Medtronic are working on an implanted combination pump/cgms that appears to work somewhat like a working pancreas.  That I am looking forward to  Yes

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

I was given a Guardian sensor by my endo and used it for one week in 2007. It communicated with my Minimed 522 pump so I did not have to have a receiver. The pump serves as a receiver. I had never used a CGM before and had no luck with it.

In January, 2010 I started using the Dexcom CGM. I found wonderful support and advice in a Dexcom Users Group on another diabetes site. The group has approximately 400 members.   I love my Dexcom.

Dexcom is scheduled to combine with both the Animas and Omnipod pumps at some point in 2011. That would be the same kind of combination that the  Minimed pump and the Guardian have now.

I have been a type 1 for 65 years and am a Joslin Medalist like Annette and Joan. Hello ladies!

-Richard

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 17
Joan replied on Tue, Nov 16 2010 11:44 PM

Hi Richard - It is so great to find others with longevity living with diabetes!

Thanks to the high tech equipment and methods plus ourselves, of course, here we are!.  Perhaps Jennette is correct to say that those of us in our senior years  with T1 must have something within our metabolic system to help us!!??

It looks like I will be able to get a pump soon; probably a MiniMed 522.  I have tired for years but had poor support from those who said they could help.  Found one now! 

I used the DexCom 7 CGM for about 6 months and liked it also,  but as said to Jennette, scar tissue developed so that the needle bent or broke and results were too varied to help me. Scar tissue has healed itself, I guess!   I believe the DexCom equipment is very good; just not for me!  S0 glad to hear it works well for you.  

Thank goodness we have choices of equipment and methods of control that are now available.

Take Care,

Joan :-))

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 3:58 PM

Richard hello my friend.. good to get an update from you!! I was so thrilled when you got

your well-deserved medal and  the dexcom that worked so well for you!!

I said back then I may try that one and still am after a bad number of episodes with my RealTime CGMS.

Right now taking a breath though.

Do you think you and Anita will make it to the medalist gathering in Boston next June?

John and I will be there.. luckily we are not that far away.

My regards to your sweetheart Anita Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 4:01 PM

Joan :)

For Richard, you and I it seemed we were very alone being diagnosed so young so long ago..

like no-one else had 'it' so indeed, thanks to the internet & Joslin we have found others!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

Hello Joan, I am pleased to meet you here. I agree with Annette about the metabolic system having something that explains our longevity. William Rounds, another Medalist, was born and diagnosed in 1923, the year insulin was first sold. He has now had type 1 for 87 years and is 87 years old. He is amazing! I am hoping that the Joslin Study will reveal the hidden secrets that explain our longevity. With more than 600 participants thus far, there is certainly a lot of data. Maybe we will be hearing the conclusions from the study in the next few years.

Hello Annette, It is so good to hear from you. We had been keeping in touch by email. I think both of us must have had very busy summers. It is nice to be in touch again. Anita and I plan to be at the Joslin meet-up in June. It will be nice to meet you and your husband there.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Wed, Nov 17 2010 6:28 PM

Richard it was him that was at the Medalist gathering in Boston May 9th last year!! Crikey..

he looks so good!!! It haunts me remembering that he was one of THE very first to go on insulin

shortly after it was discovered!!

And yes..hoping that one day [soon lol] we can hear more of discoveries of the study.

As Dr King told the 41 of us.. saying that it didn't matter really what our A1c's are..  they were between 5's to 9's as far as living 50 years plus with mainly no complications..and we are an 'odd lot'  I told him I had been called many things in my life but this was THE best compliment I ever  had!!  Heard from Amy [Leahs replacement] this weekand she said the 2011 gathering is weekend of June 3rd-4th. Looking forward to meeting you & Anita.

John & I will be there.You will feel like a kid again .. in a classroom of only J.D'ers!!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

Thanks Annette. That weekend will be perfect for us. Do you think the meeting will be in the Joslin buildings, or elsewhere? We need to know where to reserve a motel room. We liked the Holiday Inn where we stayed in December, 2009, while we were there for my participation in the study.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Fri, Nov 19 2010 7:36 PM

Richard good to hear you and Anita will make it in June!

Look forward to meeting you both.

If it is as it was last year [think it may be] It starts Friday at 1pm at Joslin. [we took early train to Boston]

A tour around  the research area..meeting some researchers.. we and another couple went back to hotel then out to dinner.

The next morning at 10am I think, we met in a hall with Dr King who gave a speech

and update on how things are going and 'us' collectively. Some of the things were over my head.

Then we all gathered for refreshments at tables and to talk to each other.. that was nice.

Joslin make arrangement at hotels for a lower fee.. I think we actually had to call to book

and mention The 50 year Study. June will be here in blink of an eye!!

~Annette~

The Saturday event was over early afternoon ^ we got the 3pm Amtrak from Back Bay back home.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

Thanks so much Annette, I appreciate your description of the previous event. That helps very much!

Page 2 of 3 (40 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS