Looking for advice, 5 year old son.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
1 Posts
toole1ok posted on Wed, Oct 27 2010 5:59 PM

Hello everyone.  This is my first post.  I am 36 years old and have type 2 diabetes.  My mother has it,  my father had it,  I have 12 aunts and uncles who have it.  My father in law and his brother have it as well.  I have a five year old son and last week when I was checking my blood sugar, he asked me to check his.  He had just gotten out of bed and had nothing to eat or drink.  His blood sugar was 110.  It scared me to death.  I checked it again two mornings later and it was 107.  I then call the American Diabetes  Association.  They told me that if he was type 1 then his blood sugar would be way higher than that, and that childrens blood sugars tend to run a little higher anyway.  He is not overweight and I had not noticed him with any other symptoms.  Now that I am worried I am constantly watching to see if he is drinking more than usual and urinating alot.  I don't know if he is or I am just stressing.  I was looking for some advice from people who have been there and have experience with children who have diabetes.  I have checked it three more times since the morning I called the ADA and it has been a constant 107 each time.  I also checked it two hours after he ate three small milky way candy bars, and half of a pear and it was 138.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Eddie

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
31 Posts
Debbie replied on Thu, Oct 28 2010 11:17 AM

Based on your description, his fasting blood sugar may be mildly elevated, but not necessarily in the diabetic range (126 mg/dL using a venous blood sample, not a blood glucose meter).  The question becomes what, if anything, ought to be done about the possible modest elevation.  Given his age, the likelihood of type 2 diabetes is exquisitely low (despite the family history).  I think it would be reasonable to have him evaluated once by a pediatric endocrinologist.  It would be reasonable for them to recommend, if all else seems okay, nothing except checking his blood glucose if he were to develop significant urination/thirst that lasted more than 1-2 days.  During the conversation, you could ask about something called “Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young” (aka MODY), a 100% genetic form of diabetes that may or may not need treatment—if present, it could explain the modest elevation in his blood sugars that you noticed.

Good luck!

Sanjeev Mehta, MD

Top 75 Contributor
17 Posts

Hi..............my name is Anne, and I am brand new to this site.............I am 40 years old, and was diagnosed early type 1 adult onset diabetes 3 years ago.........this might help you............I hope it helps, ...........................when I was 4 years old, I had strong symptoms of diabetes, extreme thirst, excessive urination, and my family doctor found my fasting blood sugar to be 160 more than once, but they knew a lot less about diabetes then than they do now........................it turns out I was later stage type 2................so, for years, up until 3 years ago, I walked around as a type 2, was diagnosed officially not until 2006, the diabetic internist said I am very very very brittle, so, I bet , but I am not trying to play nurse or doctor, but, I bet your five year old is early stage type 2 ..........I now have vision problems, and my average fasting , when I am able to get enough to eat, as I am poor, but, my average fasting when I eat 3 meals a day is between 220-440 range........................I was given slow acting insulin last year, as my body almost went into diabetic shock........I was told that I am honeymoon early stage type 1 adult onset 3 years ago, so I have quite a few lows if I am starving ....................I bet he's early stage type 2............write me back!!!!------------Anne

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS