68 Years

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 2

Congratulations. You're an encouragement.

29 Palms Hotels

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Wed, Dec 7 2011 4:00 AM

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false

Dec. 7, 2011

69 years ago today was the first day I was sick with T1 diabetes. I was 10 years old, so that makes me 79 now. I know there are others who have had T1 longer, but I don’t know any of them.

My home has been in Phoenix, Arizona, USA for almost 52 years, and I was born and diagnosed in New Rochelle, New York, USA. I have not been married.

I received a BS in electrical engineering at Swarthmore College, and worked for General Electric and Honeywell as a computer systems engineer. I was a co-inventor on one US patent.

I’ve got the Joslin 50-Year Medal, and the Lilly 50-Year Medal. I am a participant in the Joslin 50-Year Medalist Study.

I’ve had proliferative retinopathy and laser treatment in my right eye, and I’ve got glaucoma in both eyes. In addition, although they aren’t complications of diabetes, I also have had chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) since 1994, and ulcerative colitis since 2008. I’ve been using insulin pumps for 16 years. My current pump is the Animas Ping, and I take about 40 units/day. I have used both the Navigator and the Dexcom CGMs, but have stopped because it takes two hands to put the Dexcom in my arm.

For exercise and friendship I’ve been doing a lot of bicycle riding since 1978. During those years I have accumulated more than 105,000 miles (169,000 kilometers). This year I expect my annual mileage to reach 2,000 miles or 3,200 km.

This same message will be posted on Facebook, Insulin-Pumpers, Juvenation, Joslin, and sent to others via email.

Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS