correct percentages

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 6
concretejoe Posted: Thu, Jan 6 2011 9:16 AM
Let's say I've settled on a 1600 calorie per day regimine. What would the optimal percentages of all the nutrients be? How many grams of protein, carb, fat?
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Sun, Jan 9 2011 2:48 AM

I was started out by my Registered Dietician on an 1800 calorie meal/snack plan, with 60g carbs per each of three meals and 20g carbs per each of three snacks per day -- totaling 240g carbs per day.  There were no percentages of nutrients mentioned, or grams of protein and fat, but it was stated that this was to be a low fat, high fiber, well-balanced plan.  I was, and still am, actively exercising as well, to help keep blood sugar in good control.  It's not just about the food.  Have to take activity level into account, as well.  I gradually increased exercise and decreased portion size, as I went along -- in order to maintain good blood sugar control.  Keep an eye on blood glucose meter and adjust as needed.  RD recommendations are just a starting-point.  Each individual and his lifestyle are different, and it's up to us to find the right balance that does the job for us.  What is your current meal and exercise plan?

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear ConcreteJoe,

Health care organizations differ as to the importance of specific percentages of calories coming from the different nutrients.  Having said that the Joslin recommends that people with type 2 who are overweight receive approximately 40% of there intake from carbohydrate sources and 30% from protein and fat. On a 1600 calorie diet  that would be 160grams of carb 120g of protein and 54 grams of fat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

It depends on your age, your size, and your gender. The USDA suggests that about 30 to 35 percent of your daily calorie intake should come from fat and about 15 to 20 percent from protein. For a 2000 calorie per day diet, that equals 67 grams fat and 75 grams protein per day. Another way determine your protein need is based on body weight. The recommended amount of protein for most adults is approximately 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. One kilogram equals 2.2 pounds, so a person who weighs 165 pounds (75kg) would need about 60 grams of protein per day. culinary training

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS