Leakage When Filling Ping Cartridge

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Male
50 Posts
tomjef posted on Sat, Jan 22 2011 5:16 PM

This description will be posted on Insulin-Pumpers, Juvenation, Joslin Message Boards, and Facebook/(I hate Diabetes (type 1)).

I have been using insulin for a little more than 68 years. During that time, insulin has always been supplied in 10 mL (or 10 cc) vials with a stopper, through which a needle with either a syringe or a cartridge was inserted. After all this experience, I have run into a new problem!

Five months ago, after my Deltec Cozmo pump quit working, I started using the Animas Ping pump. Since then I have noticed that almost every time I fill a new cartridge for the Ping, after I insert the filling needle into the vial, with cartridge attached, inject the air into the vial, and invert everything to start drawing insulin into the cartridge, several drops of insulin will leak from the vial around the outside of the filling needle where it passes through the stopper of the vial. Each drop is large enough to cause it to fall to the counter. I do not keep the pressure in the vial above atmospheric pressure except when I start to fill a cartridge.

I am using a standard Ping cartridge, supplied by Animas, with standard filling needle (don’t know the gauge), also supplied by Animas. I am using Humalog, so Eli Lilly supplies the vial and stopper.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? If you have, please identify the insulin you are using, because I suspect the problem may be in the combination of the vial stopper and the filling needle.

Tom Beatson

tombeatson@cox.net

All Replies

Not Ranked
1 Posts
sjcurrier replied on Tue, Jan 25 2011 11:12 AM

I also use the Animas Ping.  I use Novolog insulin.  I have had the Ping for more than 2 years and have had absolutely no problems with leakage.  I really love the Ping (I had been using the Minimed pump(s) for 15 years and never had a leakage problem).

Hope you can solve the cause of the leakage.

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
veedub replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 10:57 PM

Have been usingnminimed for 15 years now with no leakage problems also... my question is why the switch from minimed to ping

Top 50 Contributor
Male
50 Posts
tomjef replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 11:03 PM

veedub:

Have been usingnminimed for 15 years now with no leakage problems also... my question is why the switch from minimed to ping

I assume this question is directed to sjcurrier, not to tomjef.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
50 Posts
tomjef replied on Mon, Mar 14 2011 4:03 PM

I found a partially used box of 100 B-D 26G 1/2 inch individually wrapped sterile needles with plastic hubs. Probably more than 20 years old. I decided to try substituting one of these for the filling needle supplied by Animas with each 200 unit cartridge. The Animas filling needle is obviously a heavier gauge (lower gauge number) than the 26G needles I found. I have had no leakage like I described in the first post in this thread. I have come to the conclusion that the combination of the Animas filling needle together with the rubber(?) stopper used by Eli Lilly with 10 ml vials of Humalog was the cause of my problem. Several other people reported having a similar leakage problem with Animas filling needles and Humalog. No one reported any problem using the Animas filling needle with Novolog.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
3 Posts

I am a Minimed Pardigm pump user and occasionally get a leakage probem at fill time similiar to the one you describe. I usually happens on the first useage of a ne bottle of Humalog (That's when we are sujecting it to the max pressure. I hope Lily is watching this.

Jack Hughes

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS