Grams of sugar per serving

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
gilchris83 Posted: Fri, Jan 28 2011 8:01 PM

I participated in the DO IT Program and vaguely remember that a serving of anything should not have more than 4 grams of sugar.  Also, how many total per day is acceptable?  I went looking for a brand of yogurt that I normally purchase and they don't carry it any longer.  All the ones I did see (other than the plain) have way too much sugar ~ 17 to 19 grams per serving!  Can't seem to find this info in any of the material that I have from Joslin.  Thanks for anyone's input!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Fri, Jan 28 2011 9:40 PM

The only yogurts with low carbs are those that say "light" or "lite", and even then you have to still read the labels.  Sugars are just carbs.  So how many you have depends on how many carbs you plan to consume.  Since most of the sugar is in the form of lactose the sugars are not too bad on bg levels.  Lactose has a glycemic index of 46 making it a low GI food.  Try to find a yogurt without high fructose corn syrup, which is definitely not a low GI food.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 8:03 AM

Since the main purpose of eating (though not the only one) is to provide a source of energy for our activities, you need to look at one before you determine the other. If you are planning on doing a reasonable amount of activity after eating - for example a half hour brisk walk, you can allow yourself more carbohydrates (including but not limited to sugar) than if you are just going to sit at a desk. For example, knowing that I am going for an hour's walk after dinner I allow myself 60 - 80 grams of carbs. However, if my schedule didn't allow for that walk I would probably limit my dinner carbs to about 20 grams.

As for yoghurt I've long since given up on anything but plain yoghurt mixed with fresh or frozen berries. The flavored stuff is one of the densest sources of carbs on the supermarket shelves and makes a mockery of the word 'light'.

Tor

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 384
jen1229 replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 1:43 PM

I hate yogurt, but I like Tzatziki, which is savory. It is made with greek yogurt, cucumber dill and garlic.  It's great with veggies for a snack or with a meal. 

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 12

I like yogurt and will eat it only when I am low 60 or below.  I only use Light & Fit by Dannon 10 carbs and 7 grams of sugar.  I was suprised last week when I chose a tea bag and began to drink it that it tasted really good.  Within one hour by BS was 321 - who knew that there would be sugar in an ordinary flavored tea bag!  There was no markings on the box or the tea bag wrapper.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Sat, Jan 29 2011 8:15 PM

I love Greek yogart and just discovered Chobani brand name that is heavenly, not sweet and has more protein per serving than other yogarts.....has everyone tasted Greek yogart?  It is so different than others.    And I love Tzatziki.....love it as a dip...have even made it from scratch...love it on sandwiches even if they are not greek gyros!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS