Help with Support Groups

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
bsosa Posted: Wed, Feb 2 2011 10:56 AM

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 just under 2 weeks ago.  I am finding it more and more discouraging that there are no local support groups for children.  We have a Joslin Center in Nashua, NH, but the only programs I can find is for adults.  Children are so affected by this diagnosis and would benefit greatly if they could meet with other children on a regular basis so they don't feel so alone.  By all the posts I have read concerning newly diagnosed children, why hasn't Joslin initiated more programs focused on kids at their locations?  Any help or additional information would be greatly appreciated.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28

I suggest that you join the following site:

http://www.juvenation.org

It is a site for type 1 diabetics exclusively. There are many parents of type 1 children there. The site is sponsored by the JDRF and there are people who can help you with your concern.

I have been Type 1 for 65 years and I am very healthy. With your love and care, your son can have a long, healthy life. Good luck to both of you.

Richard

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
bsosa replied on Thu, Feb 3 2011 12:22 PM

Richard -

Thank you very much for the information.

Take Care,

Beth

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 31
Debbie replied on Fri, Feb 4 2011 1:46 PM

Sorry for the delay in my response.  At Joslin in Boston we have held groups for parents and children in the past but when families stopped coming we decided to team up with JDRF and lead groups in the community.  I would suggest you contact your local JDRF and ADA chapter and ask about groups and family programs in your area.  If you live in the Boston area you can contact Anna Floreen of the ADA at afloreen@diabetes.org or Lauren Shields of JDRF at lshields@jdrf.org .  Finally there are some great programs for kids and families at diabetes camps.  You may want to contact the Barton Center for more information http://bartoncenter.org/bcsite/front_page

Good luck!

-Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS