Next Meeting of 50-Year Medalists

rated by 0 users
This post has 24 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef Posted: Sat, Feb 12 2011 9:06 PM

I received a letter today from Dr. King, announcing the gathering of 50- and 75-Year Medalists. It will be in Boston on June 3-4, 2011. I'm planning to be there, and hope to meet lots of you there.

Tom Beatson, Phoenix, AZ; dx 12/7/1942

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Sat, Apr 7 2012 10:48 AM

Tom ... I wonder when our next medalist gathering will be??

And congratulations on reaching your 70'th anniversary with J/D this year!! You are an inspiration Wink to we other medalists!! Yes

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 4
tureks replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 9:58 AM

Hi Annette!

Our next celebration will be springtime in 2013.  We will send out "Save the Dates" with the holiday cards this year!

Best,

Sara

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Sandy D. replied on Mon, Apr 9 2012 10:52 AM

How exciting to find this message board! I am celebrating my 50th yr of living with T1, just this year.  One of my favorite weeks was back in the early 80's at Joslin for a diabetes management program (when they were pricking ear lobes for glucose testing). Besides all the updated info on care, Joslin also taught me that I was a person 1st that just happened to have diabetes. My summers as a child spent at diabetes camp (Camp NYDA in upstate NY), gave me the foundation and skills to use my entire life. I was definitely not alone and have been reaching out ever since. If you know of anyone that had attended Camp NYDA in it's 55 yr history, please let them know of plans for an upcoming reunion at the campgrounds. Info is on Facebook at: Camp NYDA Reunion at The Campgrounds 2012 group.

Many thanks,

Sandy D. (dx 12/1962)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55

yippeeeeeee Sara~~ cannot wait to gather with other medalists again next year and....see you and Stephanie again!! Oh and of course... the 'cheif'..... Dr King!!! Wink  Ypu do such a fantastic job arranging it all for us!!

regards always

~Annette~

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55

oopsy... Dr King is a chief and a cheif .. ha ha ha

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55

Helloooo Sandy!!! It sounds like you were blessed with the Camp NYDA!!!!

Welcome to a super group of blessed people who survived over half a century

with juvenile diabetes and with what now seems quite barbaric treatment!!

Just a glass syringe with a big non disposible needle that parents would sharpen..

and only regular and NPH insulins!! No BG meters either!!!

Hope to meet you at the 2013 Medalist Gathering in Boston next year!!

Sara and Stephanie and all involved do a super job arranging the gatherings ;)

What a fantastic group... including a 'young man' who started on insulin in 1922 I believe..

he is a hero to me Yes

I am in Connecticut... by Long Island Sound... in New England but from Olde England.. he he he

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Tue, Jun 5 2012 10:07 PM

Annette … Thank you in advance for the congratulations. It will be another six months before I get there. Dec. 7, 1942 was the first day I was sick, and it wasn't until 2 or 3 days later that I was dx and rapidly slipping into a coma. I have chosen to use the Dec. 7 date, because it was exactly one year after the attack on Pearl Harbor that brought the U.S. into World War II. After almost 70 years, I don't think three days makes much difference.

In case anyone is interested, I expect to be at Joslin on June 28-29, 2012. I'm still riding my bicycle.Smile I ride 2 or 3 days/week, 12 months/year. I beat the summer heat in Phoenix by starting my rides about 6:00-6:30 AM.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 6:15 PM

In the blink of an eye we will gather again!! Super!!

Thank you Sara and everyone else for doing this for we already reallyyyyy very lucky people!!! he he he

Regards from Connecticut !!! Big Smile  ~Annette~

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 6:33 PM

Tom I so admire you...like you I was rushed into hospital after my mum found me on the stairs .. parents were told I had a day to live. I am familiar with WW2 history..but in Europe... my hometown is next to The White Cliffs of Dover on The English Channel in Kent, England.  My childhood was almost nightly bombing.. and in air-raid shelters, in my mothers arms. One time in an underground railroad in London during the infamous Blitz!  A stranger gave my mother a plum for my brother and I ..we had never had one. Never seen one!!

People should never forget the horror of war .... it is the devils dream Devil

Wish I could pop up to Boston this coming week while you are there biking around the HUB!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Sat, Jun 23 2012 8:03 PM

Annette,

Sorry if I implied I will be bringing my bike to Boston. I should have started a new paragraph before starting to talk about my bike. I will only be in Boston for 2.5 days, so there wouldn't be enough time anyhow. I will be having dinner on Wednesday with Dr. Stephan Kissler. He is a new addition to the Joslin research staff, and I understand he does a lot of riding. I will be interested to learn his opinion of bike riding in Boston.

When you say you are familiar with WW2 history, that is probably the understatement of the year. I remember the beautiful song "There'll be bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover, Tomorrow, just you wait and see!" It seems to me that would be a good theme song now for Type 1s, waiting for a cure.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 8:45 PM

Sara...cannot wait for the next 'gathering'  ... to see the medalists again but....to see YOU & STEPHANIE too!!

Instead of John, a special friend who I would like you to meet may come with me.  She is a great supporter to me

and extremely involved with JDRF.. organises the JDRF Walk For The Cure in Niantic, Connecticut every year!!

Funds to support the Study come from them [JDRF] I think??

Hoping all is well with you two ladies... that you enjoyed your summer holidays!!

Regards always

~Annette~

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 8:58 PM

Tom...at the next gathering we shall sing that song together...

'There'll be a cure and bluebirds overrr,  The White Cliffs of Dover.....tomorrowwww just you wait and seeee'  Yes

~Annette~

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 50
tomjef replied on Fri, Jul 13 2012 10:18 PM

Annette - I like your idea, but I fear that many of the medalists are too young to remember those years. But for me, here in the U.S., before dx, that song represented the hope, not just for Dover but for all the Allies, for peace to return. And it did! So it's a good song for us.

Tom

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Sun, Jul 15 2012 3:39 PM

Sara...... new email address:  arbuk2012@msn.com.

Remove the old one. Hotmail address I mean...NOT ME!!! ha ha ha

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS