Should I be worried?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Allen Posted: Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:20 PM

I am a young 63 old male diagnosed with Type 2 D 1 year ago.  I was placed on a diet and 2000mg of Metformin and 500mg of glimepride daily.  I take two 500mgs of Metformin with the Glimepride in the am and two 500mgs of Metformin in the pm. 

My last A1C testing 3 months ago was 5.6.

I test my glucose level almost everyday & I am always between 105 and 115.  If I am real bad and eat pizza it might spike for a short periopd to 120+.

I have not been ill, or have not changed my diet, or have not been eating sweets, or anything like that. But the past week my daily glucose readings are increasing each day. Today they were 141 .. I can't recall the last tiem it was that high.

Is it possible and - does it happen this way - for my meds to have stopped working? 

Today I am eating just fruit and fish.  No bad foods, no sugars, no dairy, no nothing.

What else can I do to counteract this?  I was thinking about taking an additional Metformin in the am -- but don't know if that is smart.  Is it too early to call my doctor and let him know what is happening?  

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 6:16 PM

You need better focus on your diet.  Sugar is not the only problem, all carbohydrates convert to sugar in the body.  Google the Glycemic Index.  This is a measure of how different foods affect blood glucose levels.  Some foods, like bananas, white bread, white rice, etc. will cause a bigger rise in bg readings than low GI foods like steel cut oatmeal, whole grains, etc.  Many fruits are really bad for diabetics because they increase bg levels very fast and very high.  If you have access (through your insurance), seek a dietitian with diabetes knowledge to help you find a diet that works for you.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Wed, Apr 13 2011 9:51 PM

What is your exercise plan, Allen?  Did your doctor mention the enormous effect that daily exercise can have on controlling blood sugar?

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Thu, Apr 14 2011 11:40 AM

What they said...but I'll add, daily exercise can be as simple as a long walk.  It doesn't have to be running a marathon.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Sat, Apr 16 2011 7:01 PM

Madman:

What they said...but I'll add, daily exercise can be as simple as a long walk.  It doesn't have to be running a marathon.

That's right.  It's the exertion that does it, and the higher the exertion level, the more it gets the heart rate up and the more it gets the blood glucose down.  ANY exertion is better than NO exertion, and the more often it's done, the more effect it will have -- overall, not just at one particular time.  Are you still there, Allen??

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 3

It seems to me your numbers are very good, so I am not sure why you are concerned.  I thought any two hour post meal number below 160 was considered OK.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 5:48 PM

Bostonmouse, I believe the criteria for postprandial  is to be below 140, not 160.  Lower is always better for everyone.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 173
zrebiec replied on Wed, Apr 20 2011 7:35 AM

In general, our Joslin Clinic blood glucose goals are:

Before meals 90-130

2-3 hours after meals less than 160

Bedtime between 110-150

Of course, you should discuss your own personal goals with your healthcare team.

John Zrebiec, MSW, CDE

Moderator, Joslin Clinic

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS