Blood test

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
racheleckley Posted: Tue, Apr 26 2011 6:45 PM

I'm new to this site and I'm hoping someone can help me out.  I'm 33 years and have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years.  When my parents discovered I had diabetes, the Joslin Center ran a blood test on my siblings to see if they would get it (none had whatever they were looking for).  Now I have a beautiful little girl of my own and would like to have her tested to see if it's in the cards for her but my mother can not remember the name of the test.  Does anyone know what test to ask her pediatrician for?  I know there's new research out about a certain protein but this test was given 20 years ago.  Help anyone?  Thanks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 172
Madman replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 8:58 AM

Probably looking for an antibody test.  The usual antibodies are GAD65 and ICA tests.

GAD stands for Glutamic Acid Decarboxylase  and ICA stands for Islet Cell Antibody.

Both are associated with T1 diabetes.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2

Thank you so much.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 173
zrebiec replied on Wed, Apr 27 2011 2:27 PM

Type 1 Trial Net - screening to determine your risk for type 1 diabetes. Requirements: (a) age 1 to 45 and a parent, child or sibling with type 1 diabetes or (b) age 1 to 20 and a second-degree relative with type 1 diabetes.

Sites are all over the world. Telephone number of the Joslin Diabetes Center / Children's Hospital in Boston is 800-242-5836.

Just remember, while they can screen you for risk, if you test positive there is still no proven way to prevent type 1 diabetes, and you don't know when you will develop diabetes. 

John Zrebiec, MSW,CDE



Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS