Could my 8 year old son be developing Type 1 diabetes?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
bella posted on Sat, Jun 11 2011 12:23 AM

Hi,

I need some help trying to figure out if anything is unusual about my son and if he is possibly pre diabetic.

My son is 8 years old. He's always had a huge thirst for juice over any other liquid. He loves sugar-honey and chocolate the most (I do regulate how much he gets, which is not very much). He loves fruit, tomatoes too. He's always been on the tired side-low endurance, but has more energy now that he's older. But he had a bout of severe dizziness 3x, each time at night and early morning that lasts throughout most of the day. One time he threw up. He pees about, he says, 10x a day and 4x a night. He eats a normal amount and his weight seems steady. But I'm wondering if he has diabetes in his genes, or early stage, or whatever b/c of these symptoms. My sister has Juv. Type 1 diabetes; she was diagnosed at age 13. I was just wondering if I'm seeing my son develop type 1?

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
3 Posts
Marc replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 2:22 AM

The amount of urination alone sounds like a red flag.

Schedule an appointment with your doctor immediately, and test blood sugar to avoid irreversible damage to your child's body during untreated diabetes.

Extreme thirst and excessive urination are classic symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes.

The dizziness is concerning also; I suggest you consult a physician.

As far as the other stuff, enjoying (or consuming) sugar is not a symptom of diabetes.  The only way to be sure of his risks is to consult a knowledgeable doctor.

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
bella replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 11:37 AM

Thank you! 

What about the fact that while he drinks a lot, he doesn't drink a LOT, but still much more than his brother, about 2x more. But also that his weight remains steady and his food intake is only sometimes voracious? I think he has a quick blood *** test and it was 120 or so-as the nurse said, nothing to worry about. Does 120 sound okay? He does have a high count of bun/creatinine in his blood that affects his kidney-maybe he has the water diabetes v. sugar diabetes? I'm shooting at any target since he seems mild compared to my sister, and yet I know it's not normal . . . what do you think?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
374 Posts
Simi_Papa replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 4:14 PM

No such thing as water diabetes.  Just type 1 or type 2.  It's not even called juvenile diabetes anymore.  A random blood test showing 120 doesn't mean much by itself.  How long after eating was it taken?  A "normal" person should be under 100 2 hours after eating depending on the type of food eaten.  If you have access to a test meter you should take his blood glucose reading when he gets up in the morning, before eating, then 2 hours after eating to see what you get.  Drinking a lot of juice is not an indicator of diabetes.  My son would only drink juice, and lots of it, and he is not diabetic.  Frequent urination is also not a problem if he is drinking a lot.  Most kids can make it through the night without urinating unless they drink something before going to bed.  Check with your doctor.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
bella replied on Sat, Jun 11 2011 6:09 PM

Some diabetes website says there is such a thing as Diabetes insipidus. I know not all websites are reputable, and I've not heard of such a thing, but this form of diabetes has to do with the ability to process urine (thus the water diabetes) v. insulin. But I guess I will have to find someone with a blood tester. It sounds as if you-Simi and Marc- are not sure, so get him checked out by a doctor. But can I ask: Do you see any RED FLAGS? 

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Mon, Jun 13 2011 1:48 PM

His dr. should be able to do a simple finger *** test and tell you almost immediately if there is a blood sugar issue.

Please, for your son's sake, see a dr. and have it checked.  Hopefully, its nothing, but better safe then sorry.

Top 200 Contributor
4 Posts
bella replied on Mon, Jun 20 2011 11:12 PM

thank you. I think it may be more kidney related, now that I look at what BUN and creatinine is--altho I realize too that diabetes and kidney function are closely related. So I think I will get him a BUN test.

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts

The dizziness is concerning also; I suggest you consult a physician.

Top 150 Contributor
7 Posts

A about diabetes have to website, there was a lot of articles about diabetes

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS