Monitoring after having Tea with Splenda as a sweetener

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
David Heaster posted on Wed, Jun 29 2011 11:23 AM

I would like to know what if any effect having tea with splenda as the sweetener may have on bloos sugars.

I have been told I can have all the coffee and tea I want (being careful to also drink lots of water as well) as long as I don't use sugar to sweeten them.

Should expect any jump in my numbers three hours after breakfast if i have consumed the tea during that time?

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
374 Posts
Simi_Papa replied on Wed, Jun 29 2011 8:36 PM

The jury is still out on the effect of coffee on blood glucose levels.  Using Splenda in moderation should not be a problem, but they do use dextrose and maltodextrin  as a filler and both are low level carbohydrates.  My bg levels have never been affected by Splenda sweetened products.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 100 Contributor
9 Posts
kelwood replied on Thu, Jun 30 2011 8:27 AM

I have had the splenda effect my numbers too. What I don't get is that its not sugar but made from sugar. I myself stay away from it. I also cannot drink propel water cause the nausia it gives me . Its always been that way. I look for the diet sodas and teas with the aspertame in it.

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts

Dear Monitoring:

Splenda is the brand name for sucralose.  Sucralose is derived from sugar but during the manufacturing process, the molecule is altered so that it cannot be digested or absorbed.  It, therefore, doesn't have an effect on blood glucose.  The process also makes sucralose 600 times sweeter than sugar.   Caffeine, on the other hand, may increase blood glucose levels in suspectible people.

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts

Thanks for all your replies - the one thing I was sure about was coffee and tea - my Endocronologist told me, when asked, coffee and tea are free. Don't use sugar, use skimmed or 2% at most and you can drink them all day. However they are both diaretics so you must drink a lot of water to replace what you use.

So far that has been the bright spot  in my quest to change my horrible eating habits.

This morning after 3 miles on the treadmill I had the best numbers since I began testing, 10 days ago. They were down 300 points from where I started - I still have another 100 to go (fasting).

Top 10 Contributor
Female
140 Posts
shortie replied on Thu, Jul 7 2011 4:06 AM

I found out years ago that artificial sweeteners give me headaches and I avoid them.  I bake occasionally with unrefined turbinado sugar in small amounts. 

Not Ranked
1 Posts

While I do not know the effect, if any, of splenda, I do know caffeine has an effect on my blood glucose level.  For the three medium size mugs of coffee I drink in the am, I must administer a bolus of 0.50 via my insulin pump.  

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts

I know for me Splenda did seem to raise my numbers.  

How about Stevia, have you tried it?  You still have to read the labels of the different brands because of the different mfg. extraction processes, carriers etc.

The liquid form from theSweet Leaf brand is in purified water.  Some of the literature even says one of the "side effects" is.... "may lower blood sugar".  Like everything you have to do the research to because there is a possible side effect for ragweed allergies.

Stevia hasn't raised my numbers and I drink iced tea (no bottled stuff) by the gallon.  At work when I have run out of Stevia and had to use Splenda my numbers are higher.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
nankan replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 5:07 PM

I have stopped using as much artificial sweeteners that I can and have found that I feel much better and my numbers don't jump as much as when I used it.  I have found though that coffee and tea do raise my blood sugar level a little so I limit myself to about 1 mug of black coffee in the mornings and tea w/ a little milk later in the day.  As with everything else I try not to over do.

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts

Dear Mr. Heaster:

Splenda does not cause an increase in blood glucose values.  However, the caffeine in tea can have such an effect.  You can see if this is the case for you by taking your blood glucose before you drink tea, drinking plain tea with or without Splenda and then checking your glucose levels each hour for two hours post drinking the tea.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS