Counting carbs

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
duce posted on Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:00 PM

Hi

I have a booklet I received from my doctor that lists foods and their serving size and the amount of carbs for that serving size. My question is if I am having cucumber and the booklet say that one cup of cucumber peeled and sliced is 3 carbs. I have a scale at home do I go by wieght and when the scale says I have 8 ounces I have a serving or do I measure the cucumber in a measuring cup and when the cucumber reaches I cup that is a serving. I am confused because of liquid versus solids and how to make sure I am eating the right serving size. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
71 Posts
Answered (Not Verified) Julia replied on Fri, Jul 22 2011 9:32 PM
Suggested by jpg391

My feeling is that for 3 carbs a serving it doesn't make that much difference either way.  For something like a banana with 3 carbs for every ounce I would be more careful.

Top 25 Contributor
78 Posts

Dear Duce:

The booklet you received is most likely talking about volumetric measurements.  Therefore you would use a measuring cup.   Weights and measurements of food are not necessarily the same thing, i.e. 1 cup of cucumbers is not necessarily 8 oz weighed.  If you go to the web site Nutrition.gov and click on What's in a Food you will be able to use the database to translate volumes into weights.

But, I have some good news.  Unless you are going to eat large amounts, you don't have to count the carbohydrate content of non-starchy vegetables at all.  They don't make very much difference.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Thu, Jul 28 2011 6:53 PM

That is what my dietitian told me.  She said the first two cups don't count.  I have always goe my that.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS