HAVE IT ALL AND STILL HAVE PROBLEMS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 2
creel135 Posted: Fri, Sep 16 2011 3:16 PM

Hello,

I'm 41 year old male with diabetes type since I was 29.  I have and insulin pump and CGM and I'm simply burned out on the bad results I have obtained.  Last H1ABC was 8.1.  

I often feel very lonely and sad over this because I feel as though I will not have a long life.  I have a fear of low blood sugars and often over do it which has resulted in significant weight gain.

I believe I know how to remedy my problems, but have not been able to over the last year and I feel stuck.

Not sure what I would like from this post other then hoping to relate to others who felt this way and beat it!

Thank you - 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 3:37 PM

8.1 is not the end of the world.  You just need to tweak a little.  When I got that number, my doc suggested I check post-prandial blood sugars.  Sure enough, that was the problem.  I just needed to adjust my dual-wave boluses to a different ratio.  I aim to keep my A1C in the 7s.  My doc thinks that is good enough and so do I.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Fri, Sep 16 2011 3:39 PM

Are you well enough to exercise?  I find that two walks a day helps control my urge to overeat and helps my mood tremendously.  Another thing that helps me avaid overeating is my use of the drug Symlin, which I take with every meal.  It prevents me from feeling hungry between meals and helps by making me feel satisfied with smaller meal sizes.

Julia

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 28
Richard157 replied on Sat, Sep 17 2011 10:48 PM

I have been type 1 for 65 years, and my A1c stays below 6.0. To keep from having highs and lows I have kept very thorough charts of my blood tests, carbs eaten, insulin dosages, and other important factors, like exercise. I have found that my insulin:carb ratios and my insulin sensitivities vary throughout the day. If i did not realize this, my blood sugar levels would vary a lot and I would have many highs and lows. To understand this and get your levels to be more stable I recommend the book "Using Insulin" by John Walsh. If you are a pumper then try "Pumping Insulin" by the same author. I use the Minimed 522 pump and all my ratios and sensitivities are adjusted for different times of the day. That is how I avoid having so many highs and lows. I hope you can use this information to improve your control.

Richard

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2

Hi there,  I'm also a type 1 who's onset was in my late 20's and we're the same age, so been dealing with this about the same amount of time.  I come from a family of type 1's so I knew it's in my genes with a high possibility I might onset at some point.

I've utilized pumps for several years now and the CGMS for a few yrs.  These aren't inexpensive devices to maintain supplies for unless you are blessed with comprehensive medical insurance.  I make the concessions to pay the out-of-pocket costs because I do believe this type of treatment & therapy provides me better long term results than MDI.  

I've always struggled to achieve & maintain the elusive and ideal HBA1c.  A few years ago, my ex and I thought about having a child and in order to prepare for that I was placed on strict orders for tight control.  I literally felt like I was in diabetic bootcamp and all the time & efforts spent testing, exercising, logging resulted in an A1c of 7.0, which was the best I ever saw.  That 7.0 really kicked my butt to achieve too :-)

I recently talked with an area diabetic educator & trainer for medtronic who is also type 1 & wears the pump.  She made me feel better when she said we are each different & unique.  She told me how with  minimal efforts on her own part, she's able to maintain an A1c in the 6 range.  She's also spoken with a number of patients and she understands achieving & maintaining a good and stable A1c is not an easy thing for many.  

Unfortunately with changes in medical insurance these past couple years, I've had to change endocrine teams more than I'd like.  What I've come to realize is that overall I'm fairly well educated or grounded in the basics of diabetic management.  I think finding yourself the best endocrine or diabetic team available to you can make a great difference in helping you to best help yourself with day-to-day management.

I do understand that feeling like you've hit a plateau or just plain get burned out.  It can be work to achieve & maintain reasonable control and I've come to feel that being a brittle type 1 can be a high-maintenance existence.  

Try not to spend too much time worrying about long-term complications.  My mom was also type 1 and ultimately passed from complications which certainly scares me at times.  I try to take things day-by-day and while having my 2 beautiful adopted twins does force me to plan for the future, I try to keep a positive outlook and as the prayer says, "accept the things I cannot change and have the courage to change the things I can."

Anyway, this probably wasn't of much help but I hope it provided some tiny bit of comfort in knowing you are not alone in this.  

Regards,

Casey

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 2

Thank you all for your thoughtful responses.  I very much appreciate the time you took to post your thoughts.

I have refocused my efforts and have had some success.  It just becomes very hard to sustain and it was helpful to vent.  

Again, thank you all for helping me feel better!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
pear replied on Tue, Jan 10 2012 12:26 AM

Other forms of diabetes mellitus include congenital diabetes, which is due to genetic defects of insulin secretion, cystic fibrosis-related diabetes, steroid diabetes induced by high doses of glucocorticoids, and several forms of monogenic diabetes.

Hospitals in Bellandur

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 6
Darly314 replied on Sat, Jan 14 2012 2:48 PM

I have a question; you appear to know a lot. Here goes: My mother was Type I from age 17 until her death. She was never overweight. I was diagnosed as Type II this year at age 52, I too am rather thin. Was this congenital? I always thought so, but I keep reading Type II's are usually overweight. I had a glucose tolerance test which I read here is usually now used for pregnant woman; my high was 340 after two hours. Three months before the glucose tolerance, I had a fasting glucose 135, after a ton of sugar the night before. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 12:15 PM

Lots of type 2's are thin.  There is a genetic component to type 2, so both body types can be type 2.  Only about 20% of obese/overweight people are diagnosed with type 2.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 27
Camilla replied on Thu, Feb 16 2012 5:39 PM

Hi,

You poor thing, you must be so depressed and fed up. My way of dealing with things is to go right back to basics. Firstly, how is your diet? Do you eat low carb, that is the first key to controlling this. Do you take exercise? That is a great way to feel better and to balance your body.  Have you read Dr Bernstein's book? It has wonderfully helpful advice in it.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2

I used an Insulin pump for a total of 9 days and ended up with 3 spots of staph infection on my stomach. I am not sure the cause but I have had to have it cut open and drained 2 times now in the last week and a half and I was just wondering if anyone else had had such a serious reaction to their pump? Could this be contaminated needles or an allergic reaction. All I know is that I am tired of the pain and do not know if I will ever be able to use the pump again.

Driving Lessons Bournemouth

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS