Medtronic Revel & No Delivery alarms

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
Casey Garvey Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2011 2:56 PM

I've used Medtronic pumps for a number of years, dating back to when they were still Minimed.

I recently upgraded to the Revel pump back in April.  It's a new model and I've encountering a couple repeated alarms which make me wonder if these are software bugs?

The first alarm & condition happened identically on both Revel pumps I had within 1 week of starting  each pump.  It was an error message with specific number that caused the pump to literally shut-down.  A little inconvenient when you're out & about and not near back-up supplies.

The 2nd situation has been random but repeated "No Delivery" alarms mid-cycle of a infusion set.  They happen when I attempt a bolus of somekind and I've had 2 of these in the same week, different infusion sites/sets.  I had a few more of these same alarms early on with the Revel, but didn't think too much of it.  Now with the continued & increasing occurances, I'm becoming suspect and reporting each to the help line. 

I maintain healthy sites and rotate insertion points as suggested.  My healthcare team reports my sites look good with no visible signs of scar tissue and I've never had an infection from an infusion site.

I've never had this alarm go off so consistently with other pump models, using either the quick-set or Mio infusion sets.  Medtronic help line reps advise me it must be the insertion site, which is quite possible, but why then am I able to rewind & prime and continue using the same set without delivery error for the remainder of it's resevior.  

When I remove my infusion set, the cannulas don't appear to be kinked or otherwise abnormal.  

The most recent No Delivery alarm happened somewhat late in the evening while I was watching a movie and I got distracted and failed to follow-through with rewind/prime and reset.  I later went to sleep waking up at 3am with a BG of over 500.  While that is my own fault for lack of response, these continued Alarms which disable insulin delivery are becoming a serious concern.

If anyone else out there using the Revel model encounters a similar problem, I'd love to know about it.

Thanks,

Casey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 71
Julia replied on Tue, Sep 20 2011 7:14 AM

Casey,

It seems that your problem is consistent enough that you could ask for a replacement pump.  The new one may solve the software glitch.  I had to replace several pumps back when I had the old Minimed 511, the first of the Paradigm pumps.  They just needed to work out the software glitches on the new model.  Now that I have the 522, I have not had these repeated problems.  But with the Revel, there may be enough new features that it takes time to work out the glitches.  Kind of like buying a new car model right after it is introduced?  Just a guess.......

Julia

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS