Coconut Water

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
earlypeach Posted: Mon, Sep 26 2011 2:53 PM

I recently heard coconut water can help keep BG levels under control.  Any truth to it?

Thanks,

earlypeach

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Tue, Sep 27 2011 9:39 PM

guess I would be skeptical about it since the coconut is basically a fruit, and does contain natural sugars.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 107
nance replied on Thu, Oct 6 2011 2:46 AM

How many carbs?  Coconut water has 9g carbs, and the coconut water "drinks" like Zico can have 13g or more carbs, depending on whether it's natural or flavored.  Their chocolate coconut water drink has twice that many carbs.  Which may be okay if you sip it while exercising.

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 140
shortie replied on Thu, Oct 6 2011 9:15 PM

I am going to give it a try if I can find it!  Saw on Dr Oz today that it is a good thing to drink but that Zico was the only one they tested that actually had the nutrition it is supposed to have...anyone see the show today. 

Wegmans stores have a sparkling juice drink ( I love the citrus  )that is so good cold and about the same amount of carbs as a piece of fruit.....no added sugar or artifical sweeteners either.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 5
CandyOa8 replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 12:52 AM

How many carbs?  Coconut water has 9g carbs, and the coconut water "drinks" like Zico can have 13g or more carbs, depending on whether it's natural or flavored.  Their chocolate coconut water drink has twice that many carbs.  Which may be okay if you sip it while exercising.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
arfeen55 replied on Wed, Nov 23 2011 12:11 PM

Well I was told that the Diabetic persons must not take Coconut water as it contains rich Potassium. The diabetic drugs acts through liver and passes on to kidneys. The coconut water thus gives adverse effect on the kidneys for diabetic persons. So becareful.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 78

Dear Arfeen55,

Could you be more specific in regard to your concerns about potassium? In general unless there is a specific reason to limit potassium, such as advanced kidney disease, a high potassium diet is encouraged for all people including those with diabetes.  High potassium diets can retard some of the effects of increased sodium consumption.

Not Ranked
Posts 1

Coconut water has a lot of healing process to our body. It relaxes our mind and body. And it contains anit oxidants to help rejovinate our body steel forging | stainless forging

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1

There are lots of benefits that you can get at coconut water.

1. Low in carbs.

2. Less fat and no cholesterol

3. It has much lower calories

4. Low in sugar. Coconut water has only 5mg of natural sugar.

5. It contains more potassium for about 294 mg and less sodium.

So, it is truly a healthy in our bodies.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Janefer replied on Tue, Apr 16 2013 9:40 AM

I've read some articles about the benefits of coconut oil diabetes and according to many sources it is true, coconuts are recommended for type one diabetes.  Firstly, coconuts help to lose extra weight as they enhance metabolism, and secondly they improve insulin sensitivity and help to stabilize the level of glucose in blood.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS