new diagnosis... green mother here!

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 1
gracenlaughter Posted: Wed, Feb 18 2009 2:16 PM

Hi! 

I'm just popping in to say hello, introduce myself, and see what the activity level is like around here. 

My daughter is 7 and was just diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes less than a week ago.  We are now home from the hospital and adjusting to a new world of carb counting, dose calculations, testing... you all know the drill.  I'm finally starting to feel like I might be able to relax soon, now that I have her supplies organized and a bit of a routine starting to bloom.  Those first 2 days after getting released from the hospital were the worst for me... I suffer from anxiety issues anyway, which were exacerbated when my son was diagnosed with a chronic cardiac condition 2 1/2 years ago.  He had surgery at 5 weeks old, and still takes blood pressure meds.  Its emotionally exhausting!  I already know from giving him meds for basically his whole life that one dose can blend into the next, and in my mind sometimes I have found myself frantically wondering if I just double dosed him, or if it really has been 8 hours since he had his last dose.  WELL... I refuse to live like that, so I have developed some good strategies to compensate for human error (which is more likely when you are exhausted, as I am!)  All in all, while diabetes is new to us, chronic health care concerns and mortality issues are NOT.  I try to take what life throws at me as an opportunity for discovery, and what I've learned most profoundly is to not take a single day for granted, and to be prepared for things to change on a dime. 

Well, I am hopefully that I'll make some connections with other moms who know how it feels to wake up every day and hit the ground running.  Namaste!

StarRev. MamaStar

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 48

Hi, I am Debbie Butler and I am the moderator of the pediatric discussion boards. When your child is diagnosed with diabetes it can be extremely overwhelming.  I think it is great that you are trying to connect with other parents that also have a child with diabetes.  Some things that I think are important to remember is to make sure that you take care of yourself, in addition to your children. You can not take care of your child with diabetes if you do not take care of yourself.  Do not hesitate to ask other people for help if you need it.  Also, I think it is important to make sure that your daughter does everything that she would have done if she did not have diabetes and to try and keep her routine similar to what she was doing before she was diagnosed. Finally, make sure that you find a health care team for your daughter that is knowledgeable about pediatric diabetes that you and your daughter feel that you can be honest with.  I hope that other parents reply to your posting as well.  Good luck!

-Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Ron AKA replied on Thu, Feb 19 2009 6:23 PM

Rev. Mama,

Sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but good to see you checking in. This board is struggling a little to get going after a major change in format. Mary is a mother of two diabetic children and she posted regularly on the old board. Hopefully she checks in and sees your post. She knows her stuff.

I have no experience with diabetic children, but here is a link that you may find helpful. I find it is one of the best resources on BG meters.

Children with Diabetes

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 133

Stick with the BOARD...

despite ups and down of the new format..when you need help..or just an EAR..

We are here....

Best of luck..

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
omofmom replied on Thu, Jul 29 2010 10:42 PM

Hello, I am new too.  My son was diagnosed July 1, 2010.  We can do this together.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
dianah replied on Sat, Oct 23 2010 10:05 AM

Hi

Just found this discussion board - what a great idea! My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 at the age of 3 in 1989. She is now is a healthy, happy and successful 24 year old. I would love to help any parent who is struggling with managing this disease. We've been through all the ups and downs, but with the help of the Joslin, my daughter has never been hospitalized and is in great control. Good luck!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS