My type 1 son, age 13 has been diagnosed with Intermittent explove disorder

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Michael711 Posted: Mon, Dec 19 2011 3:23 PM

Looking for advice: My son who is 13 has acted out in violent ways towards his mother.  She is suffering from Stage IV breast cancer.  My son recently hospitalized because of his behavior was diagnosed as having Intermittent Explosive disorder.  In looking into this disorder on Wikipedia, the following was stated, "IED may also be associated with lesions in the prefrontal cortex, with damage to these areas, including the amygdala, increasing the incidence of impulsive and aggressive behavior and the inablility to predict the outcomes of an individual's own actions.  Lesions in these areas are also associated with improper blood sugar control, leading to decreased brain function in these areas, which are associated with planning and decision making."

Does anyone have experience with IED and diabetes? 

Does anyone know of resources to address this issue in a 13 year old boy?

What advice do you have to help our family?

Thank you for your imput.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Mon, Dec 19 2011 8:21 PM

Did you son have this disorder before his mother had breast cancer?

I would look at the Mayo Clinic's website, much better info http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/intermittent-explosive-disorder/DS00730

I would also seek the help of a mental health professional.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 173
zrebiec replied on Tue, Dec 20 2011 9:03 AM

I would just reiterate the advice that you need to seek help from a mental health professional.

It wasn't clear to me whether your son also had diabetes. If so, low blood glucose levels are often associated with aggressive behavior.

John Zrebiec, MSW, CDE

Joslin Moderator

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 48

I would recommend that you speak to your son's pediatrician and ask for a mental health referral in your area.  I agree that you and your son need to find help now.

-Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS