Anti-Inflammatory diet

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
gatliffe posted on Sat, Jan 14 2012 11:28 PM

Hello I well know food is not a friend.

I'm a 51 year old man have no wife or family my A1C is 9.1 I never worry much about what I was eating but now I trying to start new and need a lot of help, I am low income and rent a small room with only a microwave and a slow cooker to cook with.

I would like to go on a anti flammatory diet but  I not sure how I have cut out bread and cows milk I never been in to anything green but am starting to work on this I have try and like turnip greens and orka from a can not try much more.

I need to buy for one day at a time and need to stay round $10.00 a day and keep it simple and easy now I could get a toaster oven 0r something like that .

Anti-Inflammatory

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Thu, Mar 29 2012 10:18 AM

Hi gatliffe.

I think you are asking the right question.....what you are looking to do is control your food intake, make sure you get sufficient nutrients, and feel satisfied.  A good place to start might be a trip to your local library and see if they have a couple books....the zone diet is an easy read and has some decent recipes included.

Another book to read might be the glucose revolution.  this is about low Glycemic Index eating.  The Zone will touch on this, but this book will give you more info.

With a slow cooker and a toaster oven, you should be fine with these.

Best of luck

Not Ranked
Male
1 Posts
scottiep replied on Fri, Nov 22 2013 10:23 PM

I'm in a similar situation with having to change my diet due to inflammation.  You are right on track with cutting out the breads and cow milk.  My nutritionist told me to stay away from too much carbs like bread, but also pasta and rice.  This has been difficult for me since I am Chinese and rice is a big staple in my diet my whole life.  She also said to avoid cow milk and all processed foods and to control my sugar intake naturally. 

Like you, I am also on a tight budget so I've been eating a lot of mixed greens and fruits.  Believe it or not I've found buying vegetables and fruits to actually be cheaper then buying foods that are pre-prepared or just need to be heated up.  I typically will goto Costco every week and buy the pack of mixed greens salad for about $3.50, a bundle of bananas for $1.50 and some eggs.  The eggs I will boil and keep in my fridge and use in my salads or for breakfast and snacks.  Typically I'll remove the yolk as high cholesterol runs in my family as well.  The rest of my meals will consist of broccoli, celery, carrots, tomatoes and when I feel like spoiling myself I'll get a whole rotisserie chicken.

I'm not sure if you have a fridge or not, but you may want to look into getting a mini fridge for yourself if not.  It will definitely help in saving some of the food through out the week.  If not you may have to avoid Costco and just goto your local grocer.  Do your best to stay on the outside edges of the grocer e.g. the fresh fruits and produce sections and butcher areas as these are the healthiest places to shop and do not contain much processed foods.

I hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Don't lose a little piggy! Checkout my diabetic shoes blog for therapeutic footwear and foot care tips.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
cyn121 replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 3:53 PM

May I ask what fruits you're buying/eating?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS