drug victoza

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
prl207 Posted: Sat, Feb 11 2012 6:27 PM

Does anyone have an insulin resistant teen? My daughter has polycystic ovarian disease and type  1 diabetes.Her body is having terrible time regulating itself and the addition of metformin did not help. Has anyone heard of victoza for insulin resistance? Thank you!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 135
RobertIA replied on Sun, Feb 12 2012 12:34 AM

As a patient with type 2 diabetes, I would strongly suggest that you talk to her doctor.  Victoza has some very serious side effects and is not recommended for people with type 1 diabetes - see this reference - page 1 - under the heading "Indications and Usage".   http://www.novo-pi.com/victoza.pdf#guide    Some of the warnings are included in the PDF file and I urge you to read them.

Type 2 (10/2003)   Lantus and Novalog   Now added Metformin      Retired

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 48

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon for teens to have type 1 diabetes and insulin resistance. Metformin is one of the 1st lines of treatment for the insulin resistance, as you note. It is also important to address lifestyle issues with promoting healthy eating and exercise. There are also other approaches to managing polycystic ovarian disease, such as hormonal treatment, which you can ask your daughter's health care team about. The medication that you mention, liraglutide or Victoza, is in the class of drugs called GLP-1 analogs. It is approved for use in adults with type 2 diabetes. It is given by injection once daily. While there is no approved use in patients with type 1 diabetes, there are some reports of its use and there may be future studies in type 1 diabetes. It is important to ask your daughter's health care team about additional approaches to treating your daughter. Thanks for sharing your information.

Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE and Lori Laffel, MD, MPH

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS