At Joslin, is getting on an insulin pump an inpatient or an outpatient procedure?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts
Banting Acolyte posted on Mon, Jul 2 2012 6:56 PM

I have a quick question on insulin pumps,  is getting on one at Joslin an inpatient or outpatient procedure?  Assuming that you have to 'check in' how long would a stay at  Joslin be? 

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
173 Posts
zrebiec replied on Tue, Jul 3 2012 7:18 AM

We have not had an inpatient unit since 1995. All Joslin Clinic care is out-patient. Before considering the pump you would be required to attend a class about insulin pumps, followed by an evaluation by the medical team to determine whether a pump is a good match for you, and then a transition to the pump. This process usually takes place over several weeks.

John Zrebiec, MSW, CDE

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts

That sounds fairly complicated...I'd really prefer to just buy one...

Top 10 Contributor
173 Posts
zrebiec replied on Mon, Jul 9 2012 8:39 AM

We would not recommend doing that. The worst cases that we see are people who have not had any preparation or training on the pump. They end-up seeing us after becoming very frustrated and demoralized about using the pump.

John Zrebiec, MSW, CDE

Joslin Moderator

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 10:12 PM

why do you want one?

Top 200 Contributor
Male
4 Posts
gawnfishin replied on Thu, Jul 12 2012 11:21 AM

I am on a pump.  The previous posts are correct.  It is a big decision that must be considered and thought out with an endo that is also well versed in their use and technology.  Choose you endo wisely! There is a LARGE and long learning curve and alot of training when you frst get one. That being said,  I am very happy with my decision.

Lastly,  as far as I know, you cannot just go get one.  It must come via a prescription from you endo.   

Top 500 Contributor
3 Posts

In response to Zrebiec...

From which I can assume that you don't see the people who adopt the pump without your 'help,' and do well with it. The "best cases"  will never be seen at Joslin;  (is my Sophistry showing?)

Pumps aren't rocket science,  and at this point are truly old school as they were introduced over 35 years ago.  The methods of using pumps is well documented in books like "Pumping Insulin."  Hell,  they've been around so long even an organization as glacial to change as Blue Cross is willing to pay for them.  So when I stated that I would prefer "to just buy one,"  perhaps I should have added "with no strings attached."  Some Diabetics like to have their hands held by medical groups;  others,  like me,  don't. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS