Dawn Phenomenon

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
3 Posts
PZcolcap posted on Tue, Aug 7 2012 9:52 AM

I too suffer from Dawn Phenomenon, as I will go to bed with a 150, and wake up with a 259!! Very frustrating.  In reading some of the posts I see that because I exercise (walk at home with Leslie Sansone) for 3 miles every morning after breakfast my muscles may be crying out for more nutrition overnight.  I'm going to give the pb and crackers at bedtime a try tonight.  I have been upping my Lantus by 2 units every three days and the morning highs are getting higher.  I hate to stop exercising as it makes me feel great and I have lost 35 lbs doing so!  I have also decreased the amount of Humalog I need by losing weight.  Could I have too much Lantus at night?  It seems the more I use the higher the morning number is.  I wonder.  Anyone else find this to be a problem?

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Wed, Aug 8 2012 9:48 PM

It sounds to me like you are rebounding from a low. I would reduce the lantus by a couple units. I would also wake up during the night 2am and 4am, and test my blood sugar to see what is happening. At 150 going to bed you should be fine w/o a snack.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
3 Posts

I've done the 72 hour test and it appears that it is Dawn Phenom, not a low.  But I've tried the snack for two nights now and have woken up even higher, yesterday was a 332.  I'm very frustrated.  Guess now I will not exercise and see if that works.  Thanks for your response.

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 4:35 PM

what time do you take your lantus, and how much?

I take 14 units currently.  Have moved the injection back to about 11 am so that it's still covering me when I wake up.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
3 Posts

I take 30 units at 8:30pm at night. 

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Thu, Aug 9 2012 6:33 PM

I would find out when you go high in the morning,

I would not have any food after dinner, and would check my blood sugar 4 hours after a meal, and just before bedtime. If it starts climbing then you know a problem exists.

I know I have the dawn phenomenon sometime around 8am, as I have to have a couple units of humalog to keep the blood glucose in check else it will climb to +80mg.

You probably know this but Lantus just keeps your blood sugar level, the minute you have carbs it does not have any oomph to help out

What does your Endo Dr. say?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS