Husband newly diagnosed...

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lonestargal Posted: Wed, Aug 22 2012 4:51 PM

Hi there...I am coming here for answers for my husband (he doesn't use the computer).  He had what turned out to be a gall bladder attack and during a heart cath and bloodwork, his fasting BG was 229.  They then ordered an A1C and it was 9.8!!!  He has had no symptoms.  Now I am very familiar with diabetes,  My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 when she was 18, but she is an adult now and manages things on her own.  My dilema is how help my husband with this new "normal".  We have an appointment with an endo in a few days.  I am trying to figure out meal plans, testing, etc.  He needs to lose at least 50 lbs in the next 6 months, per his cardiologist.   Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Wed, Aug 22 2012 6:48 PM

Not much you can do until you see the endo doctor, to find out what the regime will be.

I assume the cardiologist has somewhat laid the groundwork, as to what he can and can not eat.

Basic common sense diet: low fat, low carbs, vegetables, etc.. As well as exercise.

He should be seeing a dietician as well.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 51
floydf replied on Wed, Sep 5 2012 3:32 PM

By now you have started the process of diets, exercise and medication. let us know as you progress any problems or questions, we have all faced the same difficulties. Some problems have solutions, others have work arounds, others you learn to live with, the objective is to know which problems fit in each catagory.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Fri, Sep 7 2012 8:24 PM

The objective of your husband's diabetes management should be to keep his blood sugars within a range where there is a minimum risk of damage to kidneys, feet, heart and other bodyparts that are vulnerable to neuropathy (e.g. eyes and his cardiovascular system).

The tools available include:

-a proper diet (progressive dieticians are now placing a significant emphasis on the low GI diet) with portion control

-activity (doesn't have to be hours in the gym, walking an hour (briskly) a day can do wonders to lowever blood sugars and lose weight

- medications (some doctors, discouraged by patients unable or unwilling to try diet or exercise, go for the meds right off the bat, others are still optimistic enough to start by referring the patient to a dietician and a nurse versed in exercise routines for diabetics)

- knowledge. This involves general knowledge about diabetes and how it works, and knowledge about your own status. This Joslin site is one excellent resource, in addition there are numerous books in the library or bookstore. It also invloves knowledge about the progression of your management strategies. Regular blood works at a lab, the weight scale in your bathroom and a reliable glucose meter are key tools in this department

- your husband needs to be familiar with terms like hba1c, LDL and HDL cholesterol, and monitor his blood pressure regularly.

Diabetes truly is a situation well suited for self management,(with a little help from our friends like doctors, dieticians, lab techs and nurses).

Tor

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS