Gestational Diabetes

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 4
guitarvicky Posted: Mon, Oct 22 2012 8:30 PM

This is a legacy that I wish I had not passed on to my child who 37 years ago weighed in at 10lbs 14.5 ounces and was praised as the whopper of the nursery.  Then, 4 weeks later, with pneumonia in both lungs, for 8 days I did not know if she would survive or what I had done to cause this illness to my precious baby.  I have suffered from this trauma for the last 37 years and my baby girl still has respiratory issues, at age 37.

Now I have learned more about gestational diabetes, why had such a large baby, the risks we were both exposed to, no one told me I think no one really knew as I had some of the best Doctors from New York Hospital treating me. I learned this in July at the Joslin Do-It program.

Recently I influenced my daughter, now pregnant to be tested at 24 weeks, the now indicated time (and have a follow-up test 2 weeks later).  As a result she was admitted to hospital for a week, her sugars and diet were monitored and her awareness of the risks greatly enhanced.  She is now on track with her sugar taking oral meds with 6 weeks to go until the birth of her baby boy.

She now lives in fear of becoming a diabetic like me, I was diagnosed 20 years ago but think I was diabetic long before that.

Who out there has a gestational diabetes story to contribute, I see no posts or thread on this topic.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
Dodie replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 5:50 AM

I had gestational diabetes with my first pregnancy 21 years ago. My diabetes was managed with diet and exercise. I tested my blood glucose 1-3 times daily and ketones daily. I had an emergency c-section - my baby's head was too big to fit through my pelvis bone - I gave birth to a healthy baby boy weighing 7lbs 6 oz.  

My second, and last, pregnancy, 18 months later, my blood sugars were normal. I had complications but they aren't related to diabetes so I won't mention them. 

Present day, I'm 41 and my oldest son is 21; Thankfully, neither of us have diabetes.

I'm on this forum because my husband was just told by the doctor he has diabetes, he had sugar in his urine. My husband has had hypoglycaemia for 20 years. Statistically, what are the risks of one or both of my sons developing diabetes due to my gestational diabetes and my husband has diabetes or pre-diabetes? Add to the mix, my brother has Type 2 Diabetes, he was diagnosed a year ago.  

I hope hope my story has helped you a bit. U

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS