Type 2 having low blod sugars

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1
type2dave Posted: Sat, Jul 20 2013 1:34 PM

I am hoping someone can help me figure this out or have suggestions.  I am a type 2 first diagnosed in 2007.   I have struggled with having great control to not having any control.  This seems to go back and forth and some does have to do with my eating.  I

The last A1C I had was an 8.3  I was at one point up to a 9.7 then down to a 5.4 and seemed to vary  After the lastest reading my dr took my off of glipizide and moved me to glimepride.

I am currently taking 750 mg of metformin ER 3 times a day(2 in the morning 1 before bed!).  I also take 2 mg of glimepride 2 times a day (1 in the morning and 1 at night).  Since taking the glimepride well it was good news.  My sugars went from running in the 200's to being controlled.  However after a few weeks of the glimepride I have now started experiencing bouts of low sugar, particularly before dinner and sometimes waking up in the middle of the night.

I have also noticed on the occasions now I eat some pizza, white bread, or something higher in carbs, that even doing this with taking the glimepride my numbers stay in normal range or go low.  If i don't eat the extra carbs I start to have extreme lows.  I am just confused as the issue for me has always been the carbs. 

My GP had me cut to 1 glimepride a day and still experiencing the lows.  I am just baffled at why I would suddenly be having lows.  I get them back up by eating extra carbs.  However the problem with the extra carbs is I am now having weight gain which is what I do not want. 

ANyone know what the cause might be of the low sugars and the best way to deal with this.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 120
amrad replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 10:42 PM

I would see if you can go on insulin therapy, much more predictable than the pills, and you can regulate based on your carb intake.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS