AFIB, Xarelto, aspirin

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 2
Kakora Posted: Fri, Sep 13 2013 4:00 PM

I was recently diagnosed in April 2013 with Afib.  I have had Type 1 DM almost 32 yrs, pumper x 15+ yrs.  I had been taking 81 mg aspirin for at least 15 yrs--no fail; now with this Afib, the cardiologist has prescribed Xarelto (Rivaroxaban), stop aspirin.  Endocrinologist ARNP says, same, no aspirin, as there would be no need.  I went to an Electro Physiologist and I posed this question to him--does the Xarelto also protect from platelet aggregation and help prevent those microvascular clots.  He said the actions are two different things and there is not enough evidence about the Xarelto  as a platelet inhibitor.  He felt that it would be ok to take the 81 mg aspirin and left it up to me to decide. Says he has people using 2 or 3 varioius anticoags depending on conditons.   Well, damn, don't want a stroke from Afib, but don't want any MI either (I know nothing is guaranteed)  So anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks

Karen 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 8:38 PM

I'm a type II diabetic and was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation (Afib) about 12 years ago. I've been taking my daily 81 mg aspirin since as a stroke preventer and as far as blood thinners go, I've relied on my doctor's original advice when he said that the only advantage of a prescription blood clotting drug as compared to the over the counter aspirin is that some insurance plans will cover the prescribed drug but not an OTC medication.

On a different note, about 8 years after I was diagnosed with AFIB I suffered a near fatal cardiac arrest and was later told by a cardiologist that while there is no direct link between Afib and a cardiac arrest, the cardiac arrest will often be preceeded by Ventricular Fibrillation (V-fib) which is another, more serious form of irregular heartbeat  and something to keep at the back of the mind over the long term when dealing with a multi-faceted health issue like diabetes.

For a bit of positive news, I've seen reports that the number of diabetics dying of heart desease before age 60 has been on a steady decline in recent years. I've also seen articles suggesting that one cause of that is that the old recommendation of avoiding carbs, often resulting in a diet high in fat, in many regions has been replaced by recommendations of a diet with a generous amount of carbs, albeit the more healthy, low GI, high fiber forms of carbohydrates.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 2
Kakora replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 11:52 AM

Tor

Thanks for info--are you in chronic or persistent afib or paroxysmal afib?  do you have RX for that?

It's bad enough having DM for so long (32 yrs) but to add to it with other issues--very hard to handle.  

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS