New and very confused.

rated by 0 users
This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
madeline Posted: Fri, May 30 2014 5:38 PM

Good day...........or at least it had been.  I received word hours ago that I am a type 2 diabetic.  I am 74, well, for another week at least, slender (5'8", 123.4 first thing in the AM), have lifted weights (no, not pink dumbbells) for the last 17 years am being treated for blood pressure, and assorted heart arrhythmias and hypothyroid, additionally I have had sensory neuropathy (no apparent cause) beginning when I was 42 years.  I have been given a 1500 calories a day diet to follow and am concerned that I shall lose weight as a result.  Suffice to say I am frightened and confused and have many unanswered questions.   

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Sat, May 31 2014 8:48 PM

My first thought when reading the description of yourself prior to your diagnosis was that this is certainly not a typical description of someone diagnosed with diabetes type 2. However, there are grey areas that sometimes get confused with diabetes type 2, including LADA which is considered a precursor to type I, and diabetes brought on by damage to the pancreas e.g. through pancreaitis or hemachromatosis (iron overload)  resulting in delayed insulin release. Definitions aside, the main priority in the first months is generally to normalize blood sugars. If you are slim and athletic, reducing your calorie intake sounds like a strange first response although the dietician or doctor may have had their reasons. You didn't mention where you had been diagnosed or which doctor(s) you've seen, but the next logical step would be to get a referral to an endocrinologist whose area of expertise includes diabetes and sugar metabolism.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS