Diagnosed with Type 1 and Type 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
Momworries Posted: Fri, Jun 6 2014 12:06 PM

My son is 40 years old and was diagnosed with both types of diabetes by an endocrinologist and his GP.  His blood work was normal as of 8 months ago and he started experiencing symptoms about 3 months ago. He blamed his vision problems on needing to get new glasses.  As of 2 weeks ago he was drinking more than usual and worked his way up to a gallon of water in the afternoon through the evening.  Frequent urination and exhaustion were part of the picture also.  His diabetic friend did a blood glucose test and it was at 590, and that's when he called the doctor.

Outside of LADA, I cannot find anything that points to Type 1 and Type 2 being diagnosed together.  He's on insulin and Metformin and his blood glucose remains at 240 now.  

His wife and he are seeking a second opinion, but he plans to keep his appointment on the 19th as he is scheduled to speak with a diabetes counselor and a nutritionist as well.

Has anyone here ever experienced something like this?     

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bunn replied on Fri, Jun 20 2014 12:57 PM

Yes but it took me several years to get to that point! Sadly, despite having had diabetes in the family on both sides and having gestational diabetes in my 2nd pregnancy, I did not take the warning signs seriously enough. I continued to ignore my diet and ate too much.  Didn't continue with my weight management etc. Simply put I got lazy. I am on meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, Metformin Gluconorm and Insulin now. Please tell your son to go to the doctor and follow his/her advice. I am now suffering horribly from diabetic peripheral neuropathy which affects my vision and my mobility. He is still young enough he can turn this around. I know I am now trying to get things turned around but I wish I had taken things more seriously 5 years ago. Good luck

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

Thank you for your response. Our son did see his endocrinologist again, and he reviewed all of his lab work over the past few years. Everything was within the normal ranges until recently and he does have Type 1. He is taking it quite seriously and is eating well and exercising more now. He should be at his ideal weight soon, and I'm so glad he's seeing the nutritionist tomorrow. I'm afraid his vision is affected, but will know more after the 30th. I'm so sorry it's been such a tough row for you! I am going to relate this to him. I w1ll keep you in my prayers that things will improve for you soon.  

Not Ranked
Posts 1

Hi Momworries

I was diagnosed with "Type 1 !/2" when I was 29.  I went to my OBGYN to talk about getting pregnant and my blood levels were well over 400.  Like your son, my were previously normal.  I was told I would become a full blown type 1 in no time.  I went on to have 2 beautiful children, which was a full time job keeping my levels in a somewhat normal range.  They were born normal baby weights.  I studied every nutrition book I could find.  The first was the Zone that made tremendous sense to me.  Recently I have been following Atkins and MAYBE take 1 unit of insulin per week.  No carbs!!  Read the Times Magazine article "Eat Butter" and the book The Big Fat Surprise.  The ADA promotes a diet with carbs and for diabetics it is simply not healthy.  The proof is in the morning when you take your blood test and it shows up in a relatively normal range.  By the way, I am 55 and have no health issues.  My best to you and your son!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3

Thank you so much for the references and kind words! After his visit with the nutritionist I believe he's on the right track. She told him to stay away from anything with artificial sweeteners and eat whole grains only. He rarely has sweets - about 3 times a year. His blood glucose has leveled out. I believe his wife picked up a no carb cookbook and I am grateful that she's supportive. I will pass the information you have on to both of them. What a blessing that you are in such good health, and of course have 2 children besides! I'm so grateful that you read my post. He sees an ophthalmologist on Monday and hope he can relax after that - either way on the outcome it's best not to put it off.  

Thanks again!  

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS