Reverse Dementia

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 29
newtodiabetes Posted: Mon, Apr 13 2015 10:33 AM

Hi, folks over the weekend a friend showed me a study where people with diabetes are at increased risk for Dementia and Alzheimer's disease.

This is a little scary in my opinion. I have lost a good amount of weight for the coming Wedding( I will update my progress later this week) but I still need to lose more.

As for Dementia,it appears that long-term exposure to high blood sugar may also have significant and measurable effects on the brain. The study is from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. 

Lets try to keep our blood sugar in check to avoid any damaging effects on our brains.

reverse dementia 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 29

The brain uses insulin. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 29
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Fri, May 8 2015 4:47 AM

The thing about these studies is that they show correlation but not necessarily cause and effect.

Diabetes is definitely a lifestyle disease, in other words choices we make throughout our life will determine if we develop diabetes type 2, regardless of genes.

I have not seen any studies indicating that dementia/alzheimers are linked to similar lifestyle variables.

So the correlation between dementia and diabetes could be a coincidence, it could be due to genetic factors or it could be due to as yet undetermined environmental factors.

Until we have more answers it's like saying that the majority of North Americans are of European descent and the majority of North Americans are susceptible to the common cold, but does being of European descent cause one to get colds?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS