Blood Sugar Question

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 11
BooDreaux Posted: Mon, Apr 27 2015 10:40 AM

I'm 61 on Invokana only taking 300 mg  Type 2

Yesterday Sunday

My BS upon arising was 132.....I had PHO for breakfast(rare rib eye, fatty brisket, tendon, pork meatballs) NO noodles I always sub bean sprouts for noodles

2 hours & 15 minutes after eating with no real carbs my BS was a high 215......WTF

Monday

Breakfast was 1.5 scoops of Optima Whey Protein 4.5g carbs 2grams fiber.......1.5 Tbsp of Chia Seeds.....1 Tbsp of Beneful & 1 Tbsp of MCT Oil

Checked BS 2 hours later and it was 220

Exercise daily(5 days) both aerobic & anerobic

This makes absolutely NO sense.......I can eat 4 eggs and bacon and it's like 126 two hours after eating.....

Any Type 2 gurus on here have any thoughts?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 11
BooDreaux replied on Wed, Apr 29 2015 8:02 AM

Hmmm No one reads or replies on here anymore????  Back in the day responses were always quickly forthcoming.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Thu, Apr 30 2015 9:43 AM

Sometimes starting the day with a very low carb meal like you described can have the same end result as eating a high carb breakfast. That is because the liver detects low levels of glucose in the blood - glucose being the body's preferred source of energy - and responds by releasing part of the stored emergency supply of glucose. This is also often referred to as a glucose dump. In some cases adding a moderate amount of carbohydrates to breakfast will result in a lower post meal BG count than having none or almost none.

That's been my experience anyway.

And yes, the good old days when people were lined up to respond to Joslin posts are long gone.

Tor

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 11
BooDreaux replied on Thu, Apr 30 2015 11:29 AM

Thanks Tor......I'm following the LCHF diet of Dr Jay Wortman plan which calls for keeping carbs to under 30g per day.  

He was Type 2 & eliminated all Type 2 meds in 90 days & has been free of symptoms for like almost 10 years......Not familiar with a glucose dump

Will research

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 137
Tor replied on Fri, May 1 2015 3:21 AM

If you are researching this it is also called the dawn phenomena, which both can impact on post meal blood sugar counts and fasting BG counts if we delay breakfast. Of course, I've heard enough stories to realize that people are different and react differently so our best resource is actually our blood sugar meter.

And by the way, whenever I hear of someone who has 'cured' their diabetes by being symptom free for a number of years, I sprinkle the story with a barrel or a good pinch of salt. I was symptom free for 12 years - including maintaining my HbA1C in the low fives - by following a rigid routine of regular after meal walking and using only carbs that are low on the GI scale, like squash, beans, ryebread, Uncle Bens converted rice and barley. Following a cardiac arrest that left me in hospital and rehab for close to a year due to a brain injury I had to recover from, my hba1c crept up slowly but surely and eventually hit the critical 7.0 number.  It would have been tempting at some point in the past to think I had licked my diabetes and was cured, but all I was doing was managing it successfully as long as I had the ability to do so.

Tor

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS