Would like more info on mini med pump with CGM

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
DottieP Posted: Wed, Apr 29 2009 11:00 PM

If anyone is using this system, could you tell me how it is working?

Thanks

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 33

I am using a mini med 522 pump with the CGM.  I have been very pleased with the system.  I has helped my fine tune my basals, and avoid lows.

Fred

Type 1

Minimed Paradigm 522 and CGM

"Any idiot can face a crisis, it's the day to day living that wears you down."

Anton Checkov

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
DottieP replied on Mon, May 11 2009 9:42 PM

thanks for the info. I am in the process of trying to get my insurance to cover it along with the 522.

Not Ranked
Posts 1

I also have the 522 and Blue Cross of MA.  They told me they did not cover the CGM but would cover the pump.  Who is you insurer and did you get them to cover the total package deal?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
DottieP replied on Tue, May 12 2009 10:08 PM

I  have federal blue cross who will pay 85pct of the cost for the 522 which still leaves me paying around $700 out of pocket. This is not a cheap disease.  I am still waiting for an answer for the CGM, I was told my doctor has to write a prescription for it. The cost without insurance is around $1000 and a one month supply is aroud $300 for the sensors. I am hoping that they will cover this as it will really help with monitoring my blood sugar. Will keep you posted when I get the info.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 2
booth9459 replied on Fri, May 22 2009 2:05 PM

I have been on the CGM for about a month now.  My insurance was great with covering it.  I just pay my co pay and that is it. ($15.00 per line item).  To get this I did have to get my doctor to fill out some forms as well as my diabeties educator to write why it would be benificail to be on this system and I wrote a personal letter of all the complications I have had in my 32 years of diabeties with a focus on the lows that I encounter.  My question is what is your coverage for regular diabeties supplies.  It should all be under the same thing. 

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 33
GreenGiant replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 12:29 PM

I know this is an old post now, but I've been away for a while and am just catching up.  I have "Independant Health"  which is a local HMO in Western, NY.  When I first upgraded from a minimed 508 to the 522, I paid a $20 co-pay for the pump, and the insurance would not cover the CGM.  After I had the 522 for about a year, I was at the endo's office for a routine check up, and I mentioned about some lows I had been having lately with unawareness.  One morning my wife and I were in the garage getting into our cars to drive to work and my wife said that I didn't look well and made me go inside and test.  I was 40, and about to drive a car!  Anyway, at that point the endo recommended the CGM, and he submitted a letter of need to the insurance company who then approved it.  The initial package was $1000, of which I paid a $20 co-pay, and when I order pump supplies, I pay $20 per line item, so I pay $20 for the box of 10 sensors, which I belive currently list for $350.

Fred

Type 1

Anton Checkov

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 2
booth9459 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 2:01 PM

Well I am glad to hear that you are on the sensor.  Since my last post back about a year ago I have been on the sensor and have gone though a pregnancy with the sensor.  I did awesome with this and my HGA1C was down to a 5.6.  The OBGYN's didn't understand the sensor so I had a lot of education to do with them about it and they listened but still didn't understand or didn't want to not sure which.  Anyways I have a daughter now and she was a normal weight at birth and there were no complications at all and I attribute this to the sensor and my pump and a little work on my part.  I am actually moving out to Western NY myself so I hope that the new insurance will cover what I presently have covered though my insurance now.  We will just have to see!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 33

Congratulations on the baby!  My wife and I just became grandparents for the first time.  Our son and his wife had a baby boy on Dec. 26.  talk about a Christmas present!

So what's bringing you to Western New York, and what town will you be moving to?  I live in Clarence a little east of Buffalo.

Fred

Type 1

Anton Checkov

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 374
Simi_Papa replied on Tue, Apr 13 2010 4:35 PM

Hey Fred!  Good to hear from you again.  We are going to have our fourth grandchild in September, you will love being a grandparent.  We have a Dec. 26 birthday with our second grandchild and it takes an effort to seperate Christmas from his birthday, but worth the effort.  I hope you will be around more.  We miss your posts.

Bill

"May the Force be with you!"

Diagnosed in 1997; Off all meds except Metformin!! Smile

www.nvhealthy.com

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 33
GreenGiant replied on Wed, Apr 14 2010 11:30 AM

thanks Bill.  it's good to be back, and to see many of the old crew are still around.

Fred

Type 1

Anton Checkov

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
srj replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 8:59 PM

I've been on the Paradigm minimed for aprox 6 yrs. and the cgm for 3 years, diabetic for 50 yrs. Good thing is they are integrated, so you use the cgm and it talks to the pump.and it has a glucometer that talks to the pump, so you check your bs, and the glucometer sends the reading to the pump. You set parameters and if you are high or low , and alert sounds. (I have hypo glycimic unawareness and do not know I am low , so it is a God send.)The sensors are good for 3 days, but all who use them tell me they can go for 7 days. I go  for 7. I find that the cgm doesn't keep up with fast changes, after I check my bs, it usually takes 15-20 min. for the cgm to catch up with my finger stick number. The alarms are not very loud, so sometimes, if I am in a deep sleep, it doesnt wake me in time.but you can set your high and low numbers in the pump(sensor) to alarm when you are trending up or down (set by clock time, so you canset several).  The fastening tape on the sensors comes off my body alot so I buy a clear dressing and put it over the transmitter, that way it is water proof too,( you don't remove the cgm, to shower). also the Minimed can't be worn swimming, and I donnot wear it in the shower or tub, but the quick set( device that connects the pump to you)lets you release it quickly.Personally  I don't like having 2 devices to deal with, that don't talk to each other. So Medtronic works for me. Medtronic has an upgrade system where they will let you upgrade when a newer pump comes out, and the pump you have is still under warrenty, It is a $ amount based on the warrenty left so you can keep up with tech. hope this helps.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 2
srj replied on Mon, Dec 20 2010 9:04 PM

your insurance will cover it if you doctor says you must have it. And the cgm also.  There is a new pump out the Reval. it has alot of great features. I am on 522 and can't wait for the warrenty to run out so I can upgrade. I think they will send you the reval, they usually send the latest tech.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS