Meeting of 50-Year Medalists

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 3
ChristieC replied on Thu, Oct 14 2010 1:11 AM

Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have posted on a couple of your individual posts but it seems like there is a good pool of wisdom in this thread...

Our 15 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 in March of this year. While he has adjusted very well and takes care of himself superbly and without complaint, I am hoping to glean some nuggets of advise from you all, the utmostly well respected Medalists, of what he can do to help himself live a long uncomplicated life. Any suggestions?

Congratulations to you all! You are amazing and give us wonderful hope.

Thank you & blessings to you,

Christie

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Thu, Oct 14 2010 4:21 PM

Leah!!!! Heard from the new ladies at Joslin and they say the Medalist Gathering will be Spring 2011!!

John and I cannot wait to meet the other medalists again.. and new ones...  am hoping that YOU can pop in to see us??

Thank you for being who you are...

~Annette~

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Thu, Oct 14 2010 4:38 PM

Hi Christie!! Like your son I was diagnosed as a teenager... in 1958.. the outlook was glum.. 'could' live 20 years with 'it' should never leave my parents home as 'things' will occur ... should never get married, get pregnant etc etc .. well I left my beloved parents home 5 weeks after my 21st birthday and emigrated alone to the USA... and yes got married.. had 2 children.. have grandchildren.. led a very exciting life.. it scares me remembering all that now lol but I think it was accepting JD and all it entailed.. and ruling 'it' not letting 'it' rule me or my life.

I think the mental aspect is what helped me and other medalists, survive so

long and so well!! I am one of the group that have absolutely no complications after 52 1/2 years with J.D.

You may add me to your facebook 'Annette Richardson'

regards ~Annette~

Not Ranked
Posts 1

I was diagnosed the same month and year as Annette, up above, ... 1958, I was 3 years old, and I too heard all the horror stories of diabetes.  But, I decided not to listen, become rebellous so I married and after 16 years of marriage, I became more rebellious and had a child, who is now 17 AND WHO IS REBELLIOUS AT TIMES!!! haha.  We must laugh, feel good, and the only way to feel good with this prognosis is to take care of ourselves.  Add me to your facebook too, I'm Sandy Lundberg-Marketich.

regards to you and your fam,

Sandy

ps-  Success in life comes, not from holding a good hand, but in playing a poor hand well.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 58
Short-Jan replied on Sat, Oct 16 2010 11:09 PM

I was diagnosed  in April of 1955, when I was 8. There's a history of auto-immune disease on both sides of my family. My maternal grandfather had type 1. My parents were very disheartened after speaking with the doctors, but I don't remember them saying anything to me. I was an only child and did receive a lot of attention. I, of course, rebelled against this and as a teen ate whatever I wanted when I was away from home. After having to take a year off from college because of wildly swinging glucose levels, I started paying attention. Along the way of this 55 year road there have been problems. In 1970 my daughter was born (C-section) 6 weeks early because my blood pressure was sky high. In 1979-80 while I was completing my graduate studies  in printmaking I developed vision problems from diabetic retinopathy. After numerous laser treatments I now have 20/200 vision in my left eye. Five years ago I had cataract surgery on my right eye that restored both clarity and color vision. I've been very fortunate to have medical people who worked with me and cared. I'm very grateful to them and have chosen to be involved in the Joslin organ donation program to further research. Every day is both a challenge and a joy.

Jan

type 1 dx. 1955

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 55
AnnetteUK replied on Mon, Oct 18 2010 2:31 PM

Jan!!! Good reading [hearing] from you again!! Yes

You have done real well even in dealing with some J/D issues!!

You were diagnosed exactly 3 years before Sandy and I... but my parents were

told my the doctors I had most likely had it undiagnosed for 3 years.

What a tough fantastic group we are... and Jan, this year I did all the Joslin & funeral home preperations for organ & skin donations to help the Harvard/Joslin

researchers go further in their search of the cure or prevention.

Am hoping you can make it to the 2011 Medalist Gathering Jan.. Sandy & I will be there with bells on Angel   Angel

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS