Type II Moving on from Januvia and metformin to insulin

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
5 Posts
Texanlin posted on Thu, Aug 20 2009 12:46 PM

The next time I visit with my doctor he's going to move me from Januvia and metformin to insulin.  I'm one who needs to know as much as possible about what's going on and what I need to know/do regarding the use of insulin -- how do I need to store it? -- can I still travel? -- what do I need to do with insulin when Itravel? -- how best can I lose another 10 pounds while on insulin? -- do type IIs use pumps?

Resources for where I can find answers to these questions and more -- or just answers from all of you would be greaetly appreciated.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
111 Posts
Jorgie replied on Thu, Aug 20 2009 2:14 PM

Loosing weight while on Insulin will be tough.

Travel is not a real problem with today's Insulin.

Jorgie

Type II Humalog and Lantus

Top 25 Contributor
107 Posts
nance replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 1:37 AM

Texanlin:

....... how best can I lose another 10 pounds while on insulin?

How did you lose the first 10, Texanlin?

Nance, T2 dx 7/98; diet and exercise/no meds 11 yrs; 500mg Glucophage XR 4/day, 5mg Glucotrol XL 3/day; A1c av. in 6s.  Treadmill, elliptical, biking, Arc trainer, dumbbells, other resistance moves -- 30-60 minutes a day.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Fri, Aug 21 2009 9:32 AM

I have been on insulin for about 10 years(?) diabetic for 20.  I have lost 51.6 pounds on Weight Watchers since January.  If you count your carbs accurately and eat healthy foods you will lose weigt, but in order to lose weight and in order to keep it off you need to lose it slowly.  The last ten pounds is always the hardest, but don't let anyone tell you that  you can't lose weight while on insulin.  As we get older it gets harder, and you may want to see a nutritionist for help.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 100 Contributor
Male
8 Posts

Traveling with insulin is easy, I use an insulin pen,  just keep it from getting too hot.

Today keeping isulin is easy usually you do mnot have to keep it refrigerated although I keep my insulin in the refrigerator.

Unless you are having problem keeping blood sugar in control a pump should not be necessary.

I find that using insulin makes losing weight very difficult.

I am not a doctor and you should ask your doctor these questions, I am just stateing my own experience.

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Thu, Sep 17 2009 2:39 PM

Texanlin  please post some follow ups and let us know how you are doing with this.  I may not be too far behind you, but I'm fighting that change hard.  I don't think insulin would work too well on a long hike and I want to hike the AT someday.

Top 50 Contributor
35 Posts
JoyceL replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 8:36 AM

If you start on insulin, your doctor or nurse should tell you how it works, how to store it as well as how to give it.  There are different types of insulin some having different storage guidelines.  Many of the questions you are asking can not be answered with out knowing the name and whether you will use a pen or vial. 

Your doctor will be the best source to answer these questions

Joyce

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
Answered (Not Verified) jen1229 replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 9:34 AM
Suggested by JoyceL

I have used both vials and am now using disposable pens.  They need to be kept refreigerated until you are ready to use them and can remain non-refrigerated for up to 28 days.  Refrigerated they can remain up to the expiration date on the package.  There is no reason you can't go on a long hike with insulin.  Those stupid commercials on TV make it sound like you can never go anywhere again.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 1:58 PM

for me...long hike = 6 months in the woods.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
100 Posts
kat replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 2:20 PM

Hey, Madman -- A friend and I maintain a section of the AT in Vermont.  This year we were so late doing trail maintenance that lots of the hikers who had started at Stone Mountain in spring where passing through our little area as we were working.  Lots of fun hearing their experiences.  Let me know when you'll be in VT and we'll try to arrange some Trail Magic.

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 10 Contributor
172 Posts
Madman replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 3:06 PM

Stone mountain?  That's a good 50 miles South of Springer mountain (the southern terminous of the AT).  Bet those will be some pissed off people when they realize they hiked an extra 50 miles. Wink

It looks like it will be at least 4 more years before I get a chance, in the mean time I will have to settle for some section hikes.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
100 Posts
kat replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 4:15 PM

Madman -

Oops -- I meant Springer Mountain.  Never been to either and tend to confuse them. 

We met a couple of section hikers this summer, too.  They were on their last big section, pushing for completion by early fall.

T2, diagnosed 12/98.  Diet and exercise 2/03 - 11/08.  Now back on metformin 500 ER.

Top 50 Contributor
35 Posts
JoyceL replied on Fri, Sep 18 2009 4:44 PM

levemir can be used for 42 days  novolog 28 days

Joyce

Top 150 Contributor
5 Posts
Texanlin replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 6:42 PM

Belated thanks to all of you who responded to my request for info regarding switching over to insulin. 

After visiting with my doctor a couple of weeks ago, I'm going to try Byetta (5mg) combined with metformin and glyburide for at least a month and see how it works for me.  I do have some concerns about the possibility/probability of nausea.  Please let me know if any of you have used byetta, and what your experience has been with it. 

Top 150 Contributor
5 Posts
Texanlin replied on Sun, Oct 18 2009 6:47 PM

Sorry to be so long replying; I've seen my doctor and I'm going to try Byetta for awhile.  Have you ever used this stuff?

Regarding your plans to hike AT someday -- I've got a friend who hiked it, and she was able to plan her hike so that food items, letters and probably things like medicines were dellivered to post offices along the trail for her to pick up as she went along.  I suggest checking with any AT orginizations to find out more about how that works.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS