ambrotose

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 22 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Rosie posted on Wed, Sep 2 2009 3:19 PM

Hi all.  I'm new to the bboard.  I have a 10 year old recently diagnoses with type 1.  I was reading about ambrotose.  Has anyone looked into using this product?  It was recommended by a friend.  Becuase we are so new into this, I am concerned to give my daugther anything.  Thanks.

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
63 Posts
Joe replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 4:55 PM

Rosie:

Hi all.  I'm new to the bboard.  I have a 10 year old recently diagnoses with type 1.  I was reading about ambrotose.  Has anyone looked into using this product?  It was recommended by a friend.  Becuase we are so new into this, I am concerned to give my daugther anything.  Thanks.

If you do an internet search you'll find at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrotose

under independent research it says:

Independent research

The body cannot digest Ambrotose, as it lacks the enzymes needed. [6] Prominent glycobiologist Dr Ronald Schnarr of Johns Hopkins told 20/20 in a June 1, 2007 interview, "All of the sugar building blocks that we need in our body are made from the most common foods we eat."[7] Dr Hudson Freeze, another leading glycobiologist[7] said this about glyconutrients: "There are authentic, scientific studies that have looked at people drinking these kinds of materials, and it doesn't really do anything except increase flatulence."[7]

IMHO, it would make more sense to discuss this with your child's Endocrinologist before buying some expensive "sugar" pills.

Joe Buffalo

Type 2 Dx'd 4/98;

"Even if you're on the right track, You'll get run over if you just sit there." -- Will Rogers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
384 Posts
jen1229 replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 7:04 PM

Joe:

I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Jen  - LevemirConfused and Novalog Wink A1c 5.8

Top 10 Contributor
Female
251 Posts
Spirit replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 7:17 PM

Like Jen, I am in total agreement with Joe's post.  Diabetic children have growth needs as well as insulin requirements.  Checking with your doctor about any treatment or product is the very first step you need to do.  And, generally speaking, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.  Anything that would be effective would already be in the mainstream of diabetic care. 

I do understand your desire to find the best, most effective way to treat your child's diabetes.  As a parent, I am defintiely in that court.  But I would caution you to be wary of many of the claims out there. 

Spirit

Top 10 Contributor
Male
432 Posts
Ron AKA replied on Wed, Sep 2 2009 8:17 PM

Rosie, my review of this product is that it has no value to a diabetic or anyone else. You can do your 10 year old the most, by helping her control their BG levels within a tight low range without lows. Is your daughter using an insulin pump? If not that probably is the best way to achieve low and safe levels of BG.

Ron

Not a med prof. Just diabetic type 2 on Prandin, Levemir, ramipril, bisoprolol, & Crestor. Diag. Feb/01.

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that don't work." - Thomas Edison

Top 50 Contributor
31 Posts
Debbie replied on Fri, Sep 4 2009 1:27 PM
It is always important for you to talk to your health care team or your child's health care if you are taking any medicines, supplements, over the counter therapies, etc. It is also important to be very careful with supplements since they are not usually regulated so their composition may be inconsistent and not appropriate. Also, there are no proven therapies to prevent or postpone diabetes. A child with type 1 diabetes needs insulin, so one must be careful when reading web-based information so you are not mislead by hearsay about certain approaches and therapies. Thank you for all of the responses. As I stated earlier, it is so important to reach out to professionals and other established information sources when you have questions and concerns. -Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE
Not Ranked
1 Posts
PatBourg replied on Thu, Mar 17 2011 1:48 AM

You should be aware that anyone who may wish to medication their physician for advice. A teaspoon of Ambrotose powder contains the amount of glucose equivalent to a teaspoon of sugar.

Not Ranked
1 Posts
kylalux replied on Tue, Apr 19 2011 7:51 AM

People with diabetes are at higher risk for heart disease, so it is even more important to be smart about fats. Some fats are unhealthy and others have some health benefits. But all fats are high in calories, so you should always watch your portion sizes.

Top 100 Contributor
8 Posts
darrensy replied on Mon, Aug 8 2011 12:15 PM

I think ambrotose is not good as medication use. Some say's and testify that it works with them. But without their knowledge, this kind of medication contains glucose, a form of sugar substance. Therefore, using this may lead you to be on severe diabetes. Consult your doctors before taking those medication, don't just rely on what your friend said, they are not doctors,  they have lacking of everything specially in relation to your concern.

Top 50 Contributor
48 Posts
Suggested by darrensy

I asked another doctor about ambrotose again.  She said that there are no magic medications or nutrient supplements that can reverse or stop the diabetes. It is most important that your child receive insulin and that you as a family receive ongoing diabetes education regarding healthful nutrition and exercise along with the details of diabetes management with insulin and frequent blood sugar monitoring. There is no proven benefit of a nutritional supplement like ambrotose for type 1 diabetes. You can ask your healthcare team about it – and share any other questions with us as well. Thanks for your question.

Debbie Butler, LICSW, CDE

Top 100 Contributor
8 Posts
darrensy replied on Tue, Oct 11 2011 9:52 PM

Rosie:

Better see your doctor and is for prescription instead, do not use any medicine without proper recommendation.

Top 25 Contributor
120 Posts
amrad replied on Thu, Oct 13 2011 7:17 PM

What is it supposed to do? Only thing I gathered was it helped with cognition.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
5 Posts
CandyOa8 replied on Fri, Oct 14 2011 12:54 AM

I think ambrotose is not good as medication use. Some say's and testify that it works with them. But without their knowledge, this kind of medication contains glucose, a form of sugar substance. Therefore, using this may lead you to be on severe diabetes. Consult your doctors before taking those medication, don't just rely on what your friend said, they are not doctors,  they have lacking of everything specially in relation to your concern.

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
annastar replied on Wed, Jul 11 2012 10:00 AM

Proof that Ambrotose can increase glycosylation was published in Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011 May;65(5):648-56. Epub 2011 Jan 12. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3087895/

Top 500 Contributor
2 Posts
Marijo replied on Sat, May 4 2013 3:00 PM

I am a type 2 diabetic and have been on Ambrotose since it was invented - I take it for auto immune disorders - if I go two days without it I am a mess with osteo arthritis pain, sjogren's disease symptoms including dry mouth and eyes, swollen salivary glands and a host of other symptoms - when I take the Ambrotose regularly I have none of these symptoms. Ambrotose is supposed to modulate your blood sugar. Right now I am in the middle of an experiment to see how it does affect my blood sugars and I am going OFF the Ambrotose for a couple days to see what happens. I am on a strict South Beach phase one diet (watching glycemic index of everything) and take nothing orally for the diabetes. I was on Metformin for 2 years and my A1C was 6.5 before going on, 6.5 the two years I was on Metformin, and 6.5 after I went off the drug. If you are interested in my little experiment, I will keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS